• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to aquascaping - I need a plan!

PK81

Seedling
Hi,
This is my first post on the forum and a return to fishkeeping for me. I have a 180L (45 US gallon) bowfront tank which I have been running for 10 years. I have really kept it fish only with just a few plants. However I want to strip it down and try and get it looking like a proper freshwater aquarium! I am going to go down the Tom Barr low tech approach. I am just about to order some fluorite black sand. My lighting is 2 35W T5s.

Aquascaping is not my strong point - I am really not very artisitc . The tanks on here are fantastic. I want my aquascpe to show-off the fish which is my interest. So really need some help and advice on plants and scaping plans. Many thanks.
PK.

Welcome to UKAPS :)

Take a look at the pinned threads as the top of this aquascaping section - "aquascaping basics part 1, 2 & 3" and also look through some other members tanks although it seems as though you have done. More inspiration can be found here also

viewtopic.php?f=49&t=246

http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/AD ... index.html

There are different types/ compositions of aquascapes that can be produced, such as iwagumi, jungle, island, triangle, 'U' or 'V' shaped etc.

Is there any specific look you are going for?

Thank you for the welcome. Again spectacular tanks. I have read the treads as you suggest - putting them into practise is the hard bit. I loved George Farmer's Harlequin Haven from this site. You ask if there anything specific I am looking for. Yes a 'Ground Force' style planting map :lol: !!

I do have a large piece of slate and a couple bits of bogwood which I could place in the right third of the tank (the golden line?). With a black background and black sand the slate will stand out but the bogwood probably not. Maybe I should change this - I am not committed to recycling the bits I already have from my last set-up. I will plant tall along the back and then need to fill in the left side of the tank and the foreground. I suppose its about getting different textures of plant in as well as colour. I would like one red in just to lift it a bit. This is all very vague I know but your help is greatly apreciated.

Back