• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to CO2, please help!

Tamekascaping

Ive looked online but can’t seem to find out whether I’ve set up my pressurised co2 system properly (it came with no instructions)

I’ve made a quick video, if anyone knows what I may have done wrong, I’d appreciate your advice, thanks!

Ive looked online but can’t seem to find out whether I’ve set up my pressurised co2 system properly (it came with no instructions)

Hi Lola,
Absolutely there should not be any gas escaping. Mix some soapy water and spray or brush the mix over the connections and the bubbles that form will tell you exactly where the leak is coming from.

You can also remove the bubble counter and reassemble the unit. Try without the counter as that connection might be the sorce of the leak. If you reassemble and if the hissing goes away then you know there is either a missingg/damaged seal or the counter connection has not been tightened.

Also, I would advise that you get rid of the in tanks devise and simple port the gas directly into the filter inlet. That will be 100X more effective.

Cheers,

Thank you! I removed the bubble counter and the leak stopped so it must be that. I'm going to return the the regulator and get a better one. As I have a built-in internal filter, I assume mixer reactor is my only option?!

As I have a built-in internal filter, I assume mixer reactor is my only option?!

Hi,
Well, for a CO2 injected tank, where folks usually use too much light in the first place, internal filters usually do not provide enough muscle to push the water around enough to force feed the plants need for CO2..

I was trying to get a better glimpse of the tank to determine it's size but I'm still not sure perhaps 30 or 40 gallons? In any case, the bigger the tank the more important having strong flow becomes - especially with overzealous lighting.

In any case, you should be able to simply run the gas line into the container so that the pump inlet sucks up the gas. Again, this might not be possible but I cannot really see the tank details in the video. Perhaps you could show us more details via photos or video? Flow and distribution is super important in a CO2 injected tank and that contraption you have for CO2 dissolution can cause you a lot of grief. They simply are not a good solution because most of the gas goes straight out the window. Have a browse of the Filters, Filtration and Pumps sectio of the forum. There is a sticky about flow/distribution.

Now, I'm not saying that it's impossible to get on with an internal filter, only that you have to really pay attention to tiny details and it's also necessary to not overdo the lighting.

Getting CO2 right is the single most difficult issue in a planted tank. It is the nexus of all things and it's effects are far ranging. Getting a functional regulator and cylinder is only the first step on a steep and winding road.

Cheers,

Back