• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to CO2 - question about returning water to the tank

Hi everyone. New to this great site and finding it very useful and informative.

I'm following the idea many have suggested of placing my diffuser right under the inlet pipe of my external filter (Eheim Ecco Pro). The bubbles rise nicely up into the filter. Question is about how the water returns. I'm using the Eheim installation kit which gives you greater control of the set up of the return pipe. I have it positioned at top of tank as a kind of spraybar. Question is should the bar be returning the water into the water of the tank under the surface or across the surface of the water to create disturbance? I've read somewhere that this kind of disturbance isn't good for the CO2 but I don't know the science behind this. Does anyone know if it makes a difference how the water returns into the tank regarding the CO2? Many thanks.

If, as in your case, the water is saturated with CO2 before it returns to the tank, it will not have a big effect on the CO2 (degassing). Simply make a diagram during the day (KH vs pH drop) to see what it does in your tank for a better understanding and to make sure you have enough CO2 every hour of the day.

Actually I've abandoned the inlet pipe idea. I must have a strainer on the pipe to stop fish getting sucked into the filter but with the addition of the strainer the bubbles don't go into the pipe. Also I noticed that the CO2 seemed to have an effect on the rubber seals in the inlet pipe and they started to fall part. Back to the traditional way I think.

Back