• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to CO2

Sacul

Hi guys!

I've decided to upgrade my tank, I've just bought a 300L tank and want to start using CO2. The problem is I've never used it before, I've tried liquid CO2 before but that's going to end up being very expensive in the bigger tank.

I'm not even sure where to begin! I've been looking at the JBL ProFlora u502 CO2 System. I know it's not refillable, I have been to my local shop where they say they can refil CO2 but need to send it away for 3 -5 days. That seems like hassle so would rather buy the disposable one and order it in advance of it running out.

Is this a good way to go or can I do it cheaper/better than just buying the off the shelf kit?

Thanks!

Hi guys!

I've decided to upgrade my tank, I've just bought a 300L tank and want to start using CO2. The problem is I've never used it before, I've tried liquid CO2 before but that's going to end up being very expensive in the bigger tank.

I'm not even sure where to begin! I've been looking at the JBL ProFlora u502 CO2 System. I know it's not refillable, I have been to my local shop where they say they can refil CO2 but need to send it away for 3 -5 days. That seems like hassle so would rather buy the disposable one and order it in advance of it running out.

Is this a good way to go or can I do it cheaper/better than just buying the off the shelf kit?

Thanks!
the cheapest way, is to use second hand, out of date fire extinguishers. you can get 5kg ones for as little as 15 pounds, compared to shops which might make you pay 2,3x that amount. as for the regulator, many people seem to have success with co2 art regulators!

How would I go about getting a fire extinguisher refilled?
I don't think you'll find a place willing to refill out of date extingiushers. you just buy a 'new' one every time. it still is much cheaper than alternatives.

Ah ok. I'm not sure if I want to get an extinguisher. Could end up difficult to get hold of as a quick search didn't show anything local to me.

Have you tried looking for industrial gas, cellar gas or beer making gas suppliers. Not sure your exact location but I think Adams Gas have a few places in Devon. You may find others.
From a cost perspective, fire extinguishers are good but if that’s not an option then re-fillable is the way to go. I’m paying about £25 for a 5kg cylinder delivered directly to my door.

I just had a look on eBay and can get an extinguisher delivered for £23. Doesn't seem to bad. So now I need a decent regulator with solenoid. The solenoid is so it will switch off at night with a timer?

I have an Adams gas local aswel.1.5kg cylinder. Buy the cylinder first and they refill so that's even better.

So if I get the complete system from co2art for £167.95 and a cylinder from Adams gas, would that be everything I need to set it up and running nicely?

I bought complete system from co2art for around £160 and use a co2 fire extinguisher from budget-fire.co.uk for around £35 once it runs out get a new one they should last around 6 months.

So if I get the complete system from co2art for £167.95 and a cylinder from Adams gas, would that be everything I need to set it up and running nicely?
Get the cheaper regulator from Co2 art and an inline diffuser, you’ll need Co2 tubing too.

As for Co2 there’s plenty of options. I find it’s just less headache using the replaceable ones from an LFS, you use one, then take it back and swap for a fresh one.

Ah ok. I'm not sure if I want to get an extinguisher. Could end up difficult to get hold of as a quick search didn't show anything local to me.
Go to local library, Sainsbury's, Post Office, place of work etc make a note of the phone numbers on the fire extinguishers of the company that maintains them (or nick them....:eek:) and give them a call. A couple of the suppliers started fobbing me off they only supply on contract, it's so dangerous having fire extinguishers at home (we have them at work !!!) etc. Eventually one said, brilliant no probs, £10 for a 2Kg, where do you want them delivered.... that was 30 extinguishers worth ago in 2012 !!

Thanks guys. Will the inline diffuser work on a fluval 407 ribbed pipe? I'm keeping my eye out for CO2. Working out what's going to be best. Ideally I want to be able to fit it under my tank so I don't see it all the time. Cheaper to replace/refill the better. On the proflora m501 system it says "A 500g cylinder which is not switched off by a solenoid valve during the night lasts with its default adjustment for about 4 months." What is the default adjustment? Assuming this would be nowhere near enough CO2. Going by that math a 2kg would last 16 months

"A 500g cylinder which is not switched off by a solenoid valve during the night lasts with its default adjustment for about 4 months."
With my "took me ages to get it right CO2 setup" I use about 0.015 grams per litre per hour CO2 (about 20gr a day). As a beginner you will be using 2-3 times this amount or more, or more likely much less and converting the plants to algae !! Thus for your 300 litre tank @ 8 hours CO2, you will be using 300 x 8 x 0.015 -> 36 grams per day. Thus your 500gr bottle will last 500/36 -> 13 days. May I suggest a 2Kg fire extinguisher lasting a month or 5Kg lasting 3 months ?

For CO2 injection you need to ensure that the diffuser (usual max 16mm) is not restricting the water flow. This is normally done by having a bypass loop with valve. This is Zeus's for use with 25mm piping.
1649850899117.png

This is how you do a big tank with decent CO2 injection.
https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/olympus-is-calling/

So I think I'm going to go with an in tank diffuser, against all your advice I know but I'm worried about cutting into the pipework and messing everything up. Maybe down the line once I know more I'll change it. I have a wave maker in there aswel to blow on the plants so I hope that helps. Getting the setup from co2art. Found 3kg CO2 for 55 deposit and 16 for a refill/swap there after. Hopefully as a beginner setup this will be ok, a bit of trial and error before I get it right

So I think I'm going to go with an in tank diffuser, against all your advice I know but I'm worried about cutting into the pipework and messing everything up. Maybe down the line once I know more I'll change it. I have a wave maker in there aswel to blow on the plants so I hope that helps. Getting the setup from co2art. Found 3kg CO2 for 55 deposit and 16 for a refill/swap there after. Hopefully as a beginner setup this will be ok, a bit of trial and error before I get it right
I personally think that’s a mistake and you’re far better off with an inline.
But your choice ultimately. Hopefully you’ll get the Co2 around the tank with your chosen method. (Powerhead regardless)
Maybe someone on here has a large tank and diffuses CO2 that way with luck?

Yea your probably right. The filter isn't hugely powerful hence the wave maker. So I was thinking the diffuser near the wave maker would help. If not I'll change to the inline.

Yea your probably right. The filter isn't hugely powerful hence the wave maker. So I was thinking the diffuser near the wave maker would help. If not I'll change to the inline.
It’s not necessarily about blasting it about mate, it’s about having time to dissolve into the water.
You could blast the diffuser with the best intention, but if it’s just pushing all the Co2 has to the surface then it’s wasted.
I’m not saying the wave maker can’t help, it will obviously circulate the water well.

It’s just my belief that the inline diffuser will work far better for your setup.
It’s why your rarely see large ranks with in tank diffusers.

Back