• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to planted tanks

Rick Sanchez

Seedling
Hi,

I'm Jon and this is my first venture into planted aquariums. I have kept fish for about ten years in total; on and off.

To cut a long story short, I stripped out my main tank completely about a month ago so I could install a 3D background. I have been buying bits and pieces for a planted aquarium since.

1379689_10153352374255026_897626978_n.jpg

I currently have in my tank:
3D Background
3x bags of fluval flora stratum (approx 10kg)

I am in the process of buying:
TMC Grobeam 600 twin - £134.99 (online; two sites)
Fluval Sea CP1/CCP2 - £21.50 (eBay)
JBL Proflora M602 CO2 System - £257.98 (eBay) - Not sure if I need this, this is what I was told in the shop; Maidenhead Aquatics Plymouth.

I have these plants reserved, although I am not sure I want or need all of these.

Rotala Rotundifolia x12
Rotala Bossii x6
Hemianthus Callitrichoides x18
Staurogyne Sp x12
Bolbitis Heudelotii x4
Microsonium Pleanopus x4 on wood - No idea, cannot find it anywhere
Camprocoming Wendim - No idea, cannot find it anywhere

The handwriting is very hard to read! I do not think that I want or need this many plants, especially as I want to landscape it with some rocks/wood. Where would you suggest I look/buy this from?

Thank you for any information you provide :)

Kind Regards,
Jon

Hello and welcome to ukaps jon
Looking forward to see what you do with the tank
If your getting hc cuba you will need co2 but the jbl pro flora co2 kit is expensive and will cost quite a lot to buy refills have a look at this thread
Fire extinguisher CO2 | UK Aquatic Plant Society
This can be put together for around half the price of the price of the jbl kit and will last 4x longer between refils.

Andy

Hi Jon and welcome. :)

Regarding the plant IDs...

Microsonium Pleanopus = Microsorum pteropus (Java fern)
Camprocoming Wendim = Cryptocoryne wendtii

It is recommended to plant heavily to start as it will help battle algae issues that are very common in new setups.

Other top tips are starting with low lighting, getting CO2 and circulation spot on, and doing large frequent water changes for the first couple of weeks.

For hardscape (rocks, wood) I recommend looking at our sponsors. Aqua Essentials has a good selection.

Take a look at the articles on the main site, and pinned threads on the forums. Then post any further questions you have. We're a friendly and helpful bunch here. :)

All the best,
George

Hi Jon, welcome. I agree with Big Clown. The JBL is expensive up front and will cost you a fortune in refills. To give you an idea, my local lfs charges £40 for JBL refills. There is lots of helpful advice in the forums and if need further help, just ask. There are lots of very helpful people here.

Hi Jon,

I think we are both in a similar situation, I have also just got into the planted tank scene but was fortunate enough to come across someone closing down a system, so I bought everything in one go. My kit also had a JBL Co2 system and all I can say is that is very impressive once you get your head round it, the regulator on mine will connect to normal fire extinguisher but I don't know if that's the norm or someone has adapted it.

I wish you the best of luck with the new venture and look forward to reading your tank logs.

Welcome to ukaps Jon.
Depending upon what rated filter and distribution methods you may be using i feel you may need at least the fluval cp3 circulation pump for your 400litre tank, but thats a topic for another sub forum :)
Enjoy searching the forum.
Cheerio,
Ady.

Back