• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to Shrimp

RossMartin

Hi All,

Im looking to add some shrimp to my tank. I have a TMC 600 which is a high tech tank. I have no livestock in the tank but i would like to add some Otto's and some Red Cherry shrimp as part of a clean up crew.

I understand that Red Cherry Shrimp are good for beginners, is that right. I would like something with a bit of colour!

What should i be adding to the RO water to ensure that the shrimps are ok? I don't want to cut it with tap water. I have some Seachem Equilibrium but should i use/add something else.

Many thanks in advance

Ross

Hi, there. I don't keep cherries but do have shadow bees. Salty shrimp is great for remineralising ro water for shrimp requirements. You will need a tds pen to get your desired level. If you are using ro you could probably get crs/ cbs instead unless you esp like the look of cherries.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi ldcgroomer!

A TDS pen is on its way! I thought I should go for cherries as they were easier but I do like the look of the crs/cbs I just don't want to dive in and end up killing them! I probably need to read a shrimp for dummies book or webpage so I can get a better understanding of it all!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to high jack the thread but I have a somewhat related question for lcdgroomer. Quick question for you about using RO Water. Do you use a declorinator like prime when treating your RO for shrimp or do you just treat it only with salty shrimp gh+? I started a related thread in water chemistry section, would appreciate your input ;)

I will ask someone who uses ro as I use rainwater but I'm pretty sure ro removes the need for dechlorinator.

And after reading your other thread I'd keep using dechlorinator lol...

...I use just RO for my crs/cbs colony. I have a basic (and not expensive) 4 stage unit and I don't dechlorinate. The water comes out totally 'stripped' and ready to have the TDS increased from 0-10 to my desired TDs (about 150), using SaltyShrimp. gH+

I add a few other bits and pieces too - Borneowild Enlive (for bacteria growth), mineral for health, and Black Water.

All is going well...

...it was bought to my attention that my cunning plan, above, is subject to an issue....

As my little RO unit drops in efficiency, which is par the course, the bit/filter that begins to "let through" may allow chlorine/chlromates...as such, I should, actually, consider dechlorination....just in case.

A good point that I didn't consider! I'm going to incorporate that into my regime!!

On phone at the mo, sorry but it is in water chemistry forum

Back