• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to this looking for advice

MisterrBee

Hi, I just set up my first tank a couple of months ago and overall I'm happy with it as a first attempt. There are a few things I would have done very differently if I were to start again. I do want to get more into this hobby as I find it so therapeutic so I'm glad to have found a forum with others who share this passion. Please have a look at my setup and any feedback would be much appreciated.
20200419_201125.jpg

Welcome @MisterrBee, not too bad at all for a first attempt ;)

I'd add a lot more plants, maybe some more stems to the background and some more cypts to the mid-ground.
You could also attach some small Anubias or Buces to the rocks. Check out the Tropica "Easy" plant range.
If you've gone high-energy (with CO2) you could also take a look at the "Medium" difficulty plants :)

Thank you Tim, I'll have a look and I'm always up for new plants . The thing that I am struggling with is getting the hairgrass to carpet. I have removed some snails that were turfing it up all the time but I think I might have gone wrong with a cheap substrate. Can I add better quality substrate on top, or any advice on how to improve on the carpet growth?

Okay, to get plants to carpet property, that is dense and compact, you really need to use injected CO2.
LC doesn't really do what it says on the tin, and isn't anywhere near as effective as CO2. It's mostly used as an algicide.

Low-energy is fine though but you have to cut your coat according to your cloth, that's why I suggested you look at Tropica's easy plant list. The plants in that list usually have low to medium CO2 and light requirements and will grow low-energy.

That said CO2 systems are more accessible these days, have a look at CO2 Art and the Tutorial section for further info.

Either way, if you're using fertz your current substrate should be fine for most easy plants. But if you want to try a different nutrient rich substrate you'd really need to start again, adding a different substrate on top of your existing will just result in a mess. Tropica AS is a good option.

Hi all,
I think I might have gone wrong with a cheap substrate
I wouldn't worry, plant health looks pretty good.
some more cypts to the mid-ground. You could also attach some small Anubias or Buces to the rocks. Check out the Tropica "Easy" plant range.
Definitely some more plants. I'm a <"Cryptocoryne"> fan as well, and would recommend <"C x willisii"> and any of the forms of <"C. wendtii">.

<"This tank">
belonged to @Tim Harrison .

upload_2018-3-11_10-57-14-png.png

cheers Darrel

Yes that is a healthy looking tank. I dont really want to go for a full co2 setup so I'll have a rethink about which plants to introduce.

Back