• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New to UKAPS :)

Frontosa

Seedling
Hi everyone,

I'm from The Netherlands and found out about this forum whilst searching for the technical side of my tank-to-be :) Back in High School I used to have several tanks. I had a huge pleco for whom I kept buying bigger aquaria and I still regret I had to give him to someone else when I moved to Africa, around the same time that my pair of Steatocranus Casuarius died. It's been around 11 years now and I bought myself a new tank. Confronted with the corona measures I want something to look at during the 'home office' hours. Didnt want to go too big because when I need to get back to the office I want to keep the tank of course. Spent about 2 months deciding what to buy. Now it's been running for about a month and here it is:
Aquarium 1.PNG

Some details of the installed tech:
- Dennerle Scaper's tank 70l
- Oase BioMaster Thermo 250
- Twinstar Light II 450C adj RGB
- Eheim Skim 350 (installed a mosquito net on top since the Oto + 1 shrimp went inside for a closer look... couldn't get out:eek:)
- Co2 system (tonight switch to JBL ProFlora direct)

Not installed at the moment:
- Eheim Reeflex 250 (not installed... not sure about this UV thing)
- JBL ProTemp (deattached since today, the heat is over)

Some details on the flora:
- Riccia Fluitans
- Myriophyllum 'Guyana'
- Alternanthera reineckii lilacin
- Limnobium
- Anubias Nana Mini (not from Tropica)
- Staurogyne
- Saggitaria
I wanted to have some easy growing plants, because I knew I was going to make mistakes as a new beginner. The plants are all from Tropica, except the Anubais. I tried to stick to South America but somehow the Anubias ended up in here. I'm more a fan of Africa but for now I'll stick to the other side of the Ocean. After a few days I decided to add Co2, just want good growth and a healthy tank. The Anubias isnt doing too well btw. Once a week I add Tropica Premium Nutrition. Drop Checker is green.

Some fauna
- There's two Otocinclus in the tank
- Five Japonica shrim for Algae duty
I know it's not a lot of fish, but I don't want to overstock and next to that it's nice to need to look for the fishes. I want some other small fish though.

Currently i'm having some trouble with brown threaded algae. That's what im using the forum for to read about how to counter this issue. Today I spent an hour cleaning everything and cutting some plants, some grow fast. Overall I'm happy with my tank :) but learned A LOT for the next one (which will be bigger :angelic:). I also keep a small diary on instagram to learn and keep track on the mistakes.

Hoping to learn a lot, kind regards,

Easy.

Back