New trace mix

Mortis

Hi, I just noticed that you guys have a new trace mix formula. It seems a bit lower in Fe than the previous mix. Just curious why the formula was changed and if this new one was made based on some new research or testing ? Could someone post the old formula for comparison ?

Aqua Essentials

Sponsor
Staff member
Mortis said:
Hi, I just noticed that you guys have a new trace mix formula. It seems a bit lower in Fe than the previous mix. Just curious why the formula was changed and if this new one was made based on some new research or testing ? Could someone post the old formula for comparison ?

Hi

The manufacturer changed the formula

Mortis

Could you please post the old formula ? Im having trouble remembering/finding it. From what I do remember, the old formula was more balanced than the new one.

RoughIt

The old break down was (from a JamesC post):
Boron (B) 1.06%
Copper (Cu) 0.23%
Iron (Fe) 8.2%
Manganese (Mn) 1.82%
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.15%
Zinc (Zn) 1.16%

The new break down is:
Boron 0.14%
Copper 0.13% (chelated by EDTA)
Iron 1.01% (chelated by EDTA)
Magnesium 15.18%
Manganese 0.76% (chelated by EDTA)
Molybdenum 0.03%
Zinc 0.30% (chelated by EDTA)

How do these new percentages effect our dosing regimes (over to the experts :wave: )

aaronnorth

RoughIt said:
The old break down was (from a JamesC post):
Boron (B) 1.06%
Copper (Cu) 0.23%
Iron (Fe) 8.2%
Manganese (Mn) 1.82%
Molybdenum (Mo) 0.15%
Zinc (Zn) 1.16%

The new break down is:
Boron 0.14%
Copper 0.13% (chelated by EDTA)
Iron 1.01% (chelated by EDTA)
Magnesium 15.18%
Manganese 0.76% (chelated by EDTA)
Molybdenum 0.03%
Zinc 0.30% (chelated by EDTA)

How do these new percentages effect our dosing regimes (over to the experts :wave: )

i doubt it would affect it much. EI isnt based on one trace mix alone, it covers for a variety, so i doubt you should notice a change.

spider72

If we are dosing traces in relation to iron, than clearly we need to dose more of new trace mix in relation to old formula.

Mortis

Yeah, the new trace mix would need additional Iron to be dosed. Didnt the old mix also have Magnesium ? I remember it having some.

spider72

I meant, that whole new mix need to be dosed in bigger amounts, not only iron.
Previous mix didn't have any Mg and this is probably why new mix has lesser percentage of traces. Most probably Mg is added in form of MgSO4x7H2O (epsom salt) which contains about 10% of Mg by mass, so probably quite a lot of this salt by mass had been added, than other traces percentage went down in the same volume of powder. You don't need to add than epsom salts to your NPK mix.
Comparing new and old mixes by iron contents, about 7 times more of new mix need to be dosed to achive level of iron caused by using the old one.