• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Twinstar Branded LED Dimmer / Controller

keef321

Hi,
As I have not seen this product on the forum, I thought I would share my experience with it.
I used to use the Chinese? Dimmer that has 8 settings on it. I found I got frustrated when I needed to change a setting on it, as I would forget how to set it (it is not user friendly), therefore I had to go back online and watch a youtube video each time. I also don't need multiple different time zone settings. The Twinstar branded LED Dimmer Controller is much simpler to use and provides the following functionality:
1) Timer Setting - 6,8 or 10 hours
2) Brightness Setting - 7 steps of brightness (will be remembered after losing power)
3) Sunrise and Sunset function - ramp up / down of brightness over 10 minute period.
IMG_6190.jpg

I do not use the Timer Setting, as I have a smart plug to do that, so for me the fact that it remembers the Brightness setting after powering off is excellent. When my smart plug switches it on, it then ramps up using the Sunrise function. So for me this is nice and simple and just what I need. I think the unit / product itself looks smart & appears well built.

I have not tested it using the Timer Setting. Again here Twinstar have tried to keep things simple, and as it has no display, you simply click the 'Timer Setting Button' to 6,8 or 10 hours. It will then automatically turn back the light on at the 'time' you set it. e.g, if you pressed the 'Timer setting Button' at 5.03pm, the light will come on at 5.03 again the next day. The potential downside (due to my understanding), is if it loses power (power cut etc) it will not remember the time it was set and would need setting again. For me, this does not suit my needs, as a Co2 user I don't want my lighting period to go out of sync with my co2, for example when I am away for a couple of days etc. This is the reason I do not use the built in Timer Setting, together with the fact I like to be able to remotely switch off my co2 and lighting via my smart plug should something go wrong whilst I am away. This does mean I do not get to use the Sunset function, but this does not bother me, I feel the Sunrise function is more important for the fish (not to get startled) etc.

Anyway I hope this helps some people who are looking for a Twinstar Dimmer.

Keith

Thanks for sharing Keith.

After reading, I stick with the "Chinese dimmers". I use 6 of these with Twinstar units.
The Chinese dimmer has 4 buttons. One button to set the time, one to set the intensity for max. 8 points in a 24 cycle. But I only use 4 points.
The two other buttons are used in conjunction with these two buttons, to increase or decrease intensity or change the time.

The much greater flexibility is what is decisive for me. I like to imitate outdoors. The "Chinese dimmers" allow me to initiate sunrise early morning till 14:00, upon which the light slowly fades to the end of the afternoon at 1% of max intensity. I like to keep lights on at this 1% during the evening, so I can enjoy observing my scape, without stimulating the biology in the tank too much.

So we're both happy. Perhaps the reader can make an informed decision based on these two perspectives.

Thanks for sharing Keith.

After reading, I stick with the "Chinese dimmers". I use 6 of these with Twinstar units.
The Chinese dimmer has 4 buttons. One button to set the time, one to set the intensity for max. 8 points in a 24 cycle. But I only use 4 points.
The two other buttons are used in conjunction with these two buttons, to increase or decrease intensity or change the time.

The much greater flexibility is what is decisive for me. I like to imitate outdoors. The "Chinese dimmers" allow me to initiate sunrise early morning till 14:00, upon which the light slowly fades to the end of the afternoon at 1% of max intensity. I like to keep lights on at this 1% during the evening, so I can enjoy observing my scape, without stimulating the biology in the tank too much.

So we're both happy. Perhaps the reader can make an informed decision based on these two perspectives.
Yes I agree, there is now a couple of options for Twinstar according to your needs 😀

Back