• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Year, New Scape...

I find a lil super glue goes a long way between rocks too lol and sprinkle a lil soil over to hide any that may end out visual just hides the horrible white that may or may not be seen

Sand:

upload_2019-1-24_14-44-10.jpeg

Thanks. Trying to imagine it planted up.

Few more smaller rocks to go in to break up the uniform appearance.

Holding off on the soil until I’ve decided whether to tie willow moss on to the manzanita or to paint on with superglue.

Not tying it on in the tank will take the wood out and do it. Suppose if I paint it on the wood can stay where it is permanently but like @Jayefc1 I hate the white colouring of superglue even temporarily.

Maybe time for a brief pause.

Never liked tying moss upfront in a scape. I find it difficult to estimate where it is going to look natural all things considered once other things have grown in. May go the glue method a little further down the line.

Also means soil can go in today and hardscape finalised yay!

Last edited:
Wood looks great, what type/and where did you manage to get it from??

Lovely scape so far ;)

upload_2019-1-25_12-31-1.jpeg

Manzanita wood @oscar

This is the non-gnarled. It soaks and sinks quickly too in my experience.

Purchased from Aquarium Gardens. Speak to Dave or Steve about their current stock. The back wall of the store has all their pieces displayed for your viewing pleasure :woot:

Right...

So after making concessions aesthetically to adaquately cater to good flow, light distribution, easy access for maintenance and to the glass for cleaning...

upload_2019-1-25_12-50-2.jpeg

upload_2019-1-25_12-53-56.jpeg

upload_2019-1-25_12-55-29.jpeg

Hardscape done and soil in. Will add finer details after planting. Time to put the kettle on.

View attachment 121105

Manzanita wood @oscar

This is the non-gnarled. It soaks and sinks quickly too in my experience.

Purchased from Aquarium Gardens. Speak to Dave or Steve about their current stock. The back wall of the store has all their pieces displayed for your viewing pleasure :woot:

Very nice i will be contacting them , see what they have. I did originally prefer the gnarled but those pieces look amazing :)

It looks great, but i cannot get over the rock placement.

I cannot stop looking, at how the rocks are all in a perfect circle, making this perfect path in the middle of the scape, and all the rocks happen to be standing straight up.

It kind of detracts from everything else imo because i cannot stop staring at them :oops:

It looks great, but i cannot get over the rock placement.

I cannot stop looking, at how the rocks are all in a perfect circle, making this perfect path in the middle of the scape, and all the rocks happen to be standing straight up.

It kind of detracts from everything else imo because i cannot stop staring at them :oops:

I'd second that. I think it's not help by all the rocks being a similar height. Perhaps some could be offset to look more natural and create some nice aesthetic levels :)

Thanks for the feedback.

I’ve yet to take my trusty hammer to some larger pieces of stone. These will layer the rock at the base.

Crypts etc... leering over the rocks will mask at least 50% of the visible rock anyway.

Until I know for definite what I’m planting I don’t add details until the end, just a firm, well considered layout to work on.

Others like to hardscape then plant as fast as is humanly possible :lol: I’m not in an ADA video though. I’m not making a scape for a customer either, this is for the home so can take as much time as needed.

Kids get to help and enjoy the process too.

And I don’t do BBA either. If it begins to take hold because something is off balance I adapt and clean that hardscape like there’s no tomorrow and sort out the source of the problem.

Less rock... Less to clean should the worst happen. Once I’m sure I’ve sorted any problems, sure I’ll add more surfaces to potentially clean.

Worrying about scalable rock work at this stage is akin to tasting the cake before it goes in the oven.

Here’s my current iwagumi:

upload_2019-1-25_13-45-9.jpeg

upload_2019-1-25_13-45-47.jpg

All detailed stonework I added in months after starting this scape for example.

@DutchMuch

Hope I didn’t come across as condescending in that last post. Totally agree that it looks contrived currently. It’s an exercise in engineering so far.

Just explaining the rationale behind the thinking.

@DutchMuch

Hope I didn’t come across as condescending in that last post. Totally agree that it looks contrived currently. It’s an exercise in engineering so far.

Just explaining the rationale behind the thinking.
oh god no, your fine LOL i didnt think of that even close to condescending haha

Rationale has been understood, if i wasnt clear in my last post your iwagumi is fantastic

Thanks @DutchMuch Never really considered starting any journals before now, let alone another one.

Deliberately put a load of BBA covered plants and wood into that iwagumi a few months ago to test a few theories Learned a lot. As you can see it’s fine. Documenting that would probably be more interesting than a journal.

Also, can never be sure on forums how people take what you say. Figure it’s better to ask.

Also, can never be sure on forums how people take what you say. Figure it’s better to ask.
Definitely better to ask to clarify, i think i know this first hand all to well :angelic:

Unfortunately letters on a screen cannot express emotion as well as words in a voice can! I try to use emoji's when i can to help with that lol :coldfeet::cigar::bored::clap::crazy::bookworm::banhappy::rolleyes::cool::shy::singing:;)

Detailing... did about 30cm for now. Need to get on with planting. But eventually all the uniform barrier will be the same. Plus chucking a load of Buce in those larger cracks.

upload_2019-1-26_12-25-56.jpeg

Think this gets across my point that it won’t matter in the end, as the barriers job was primarily structural. The aesthetic value can be added later.

Back