• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

New Year, New Scape...

Yep, looks nasty that. Every time I clean my glassware I’m conscious of doing the same, it’s the way you have to hold the pipes :nailbiting:
Pleased it’s healed well though.

The lily pipe was actually in the tank at the time, that little iwagumi. Had been mithering with the idea of moving the glassware to the left (I’m right handed) for safety reasons. But at the time it remained on the right hand side.

Thought there was time to do a quick spot of trimming and as I lifted my hand out caught the lily pipe and it shattered pushing straight down.

Quick update:

upload_2019-2-9_18-41-3.jpeg

Loads of Bucephalandra to go in yet and some details to sort but short on time this week. Think it's getting there slowly.

The rocks were never a good colour match but the texture is great. Think once it's fully planted up with Buce in the cracks and the detailing is finished it should look fine when it matures. Bolbitis seems happy in there already.

Installed all the equipment now as well so running two filters. Still waiting for the crypts to spring into action and the scape will gain some height and some depth against that black background hopefully.

Happy scaping :cool:

First blood...

Someone in my darling family decided the Co2 needed unplugging, or more precisely the extension lead at the wall. Must have happened at some point yesterday and only noticed when I arrived back today an hour before Co2 was due to go off. Then noticed... no mist???

Potentially two photo periods with no Co2 in total.

Bolbitis got it worst as it sits right under the Kessils. The beginnings of BBA trying to have a go. You can just see the very first tufts on the leaves that were directly under the lighting:

upload_2019-2-15_18-26-19.jpeg

Trimmed all the affected leaves and hardscape appears clear thankfully.

upload_2019-2-15_18-30-20.jpeg

Will be watching like a hawk over the next week.

Thorough search about the scape this morning and everything in the clear another two days on :)

Geoff 1 - BBA 0

Good observation and early eviction win the day despite the hiccup. Keep calm and carry on...

Ouch...I don't know what would pee me off more - the gash, the broken lily, or the 6hr wait in A&E :confused:
I kind of know how that feels it's happened to me a couple of times, nothing quite so dramatic though.

Nice scape btw...:cool:

or the 6hr wait in A&E :confused:

Oh Tim... the bleed was quite amazing. You’ve never seen a team of A&E staff so keen to stop someone from making a mess of their floor :lol:

Ai that hand, aquascaping is a dangerous sport.

Apparently if you’re a moron like me and believe rushing will save time in the long run, yes most dangerous. Lesson learned.

Just 2 days of no Co2 and the BBA rears it's ugly head?
I think I'll be using some kind of guard for the plug!

BBA is ubiquitous from personal experience. Spores are readily available. Just a matter of whether you’re going to give it the conditions that it thrives in.

(Messing with plug now carries serious penalties - no iPad for the kids lol)

Last edited:
I'm really surprised and impressed about how this scape is turning out with the plants growing in. I'm not a fan of paths and the cosmetic sand is definitely to white for me, but the overall feel is really nice and bit mystic I guess. It reminds me of a grand tropical garden: Obviously man made but also inhabiting the celestial greatness of nature.

It’s a matter of being patient with me on this scape @akwarium

It’s a home scape, I intend to enjoy the process of creating it rather than worrying about the result too much.

I do have a grand design and this scape is being set up in stages. I’m busy as anything most weeks so only put an hour (or less) in per week on this setup as it is.

It’s going to evolve again. The white sand is cheap so I put it in first so if soil spills through a gap or diatoms cover the sand... just hoover it out and chuck it on the garden. Not expensive. Once everything is set and any ‘leaks’ of soil are plugged I intend to remove all the white sand and replace it with ADA la plata sand for a much more refined look with a yellowish hue (won’t be throwing that stuff away in a hurry £££ :nailbiting: expensive).

The scale is wrong at the base so smaller leaved anubius will eventually be glued to individual rocks and placed on the sand so they can root in when I have time. This will soften the base. I find anubius do much better in a more established tank so delay placing them in too early.

There’s a tremendous amount of growth to go yet so the ‘path’ will be more and more interrupted by plants edging in. It’s a means to an end to give some depth to the scape. I wouldn’t normally do a path that straight on but the scape is either viewed diagonally from the left or right, not straight on so that detail doesnt matter really when taken in context.

Glad you’re enjoying it. More to come ;)

Stars of the show:

upload_2019-3-5_14-59-5.jpeg

upload_2019-3-5_14-55-26.jpeg

The green neons school together from one island to the other and back quite regularly now there’s plenty of cover. They disperse once reaching either island then regroup again when they go to cross over. Brings the scape to life.

Just a few details added this week. Mainly roots creeping out of the cracks in the rock and additional epiphytes. Feels like it’s coming together.

6 weeks:

upload_2019-3-8_16-45-59.jpeg

upload_2019-3-8_16-47-9.jpeg

upload_2019-3-8_16-47-52.jpeg

Crypts are beginning to wake up and the meeboldii has doubled in size very suddenly.

Two months:

upload_2019-3-27_20-8-19.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_20-8-43.jpeg

upload_2019-3-27_20-9-11.jpeg

Maintenance consists of cleaning glass and changing water once a week. Yet to do a trim on this scape. Soooo slooowww growing and so laid back to keep. However there is a huge amount of Cryptocoryne yet to grow in. May increase maintenance a little.

Getting there.

It is an absolutely stunning scape! Very harmonious. I love the effect of the Kessil lighting with the shafts of light reaching into the tank.

Back