• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie help again :)

SiobhanGledhill

So I have an Aquatropic 160l tank, im starting to plan planting the tank and I have a regular trickle filter but ive looked around and seen a few people mentioning cannister filters. What are these, do i need one, im on a budget so are they expensive and will my current filter work?

thanks all :)

In UKAPS, I learnt that
(1) plants are the filter.
(2) filters and pumps create water flow. Properly directed flow ensures that nutrients and CO2 are delivered to all parts of the tank
(3) generally the more flow the better, but check for dead spots where there is poor flow.
(4) adding filter media to your filter to make your water clearer (eg: fine filter floss) is nice but it will reduce flow, so make sure you have enough flow to start with (so for a 160l tank, a published total flowrate of 10x i.e. 1600l/hr is recommended).
(5) sponges are great filter media

In a planted tank and esp in a CO2 injected tank, flow/water movement in the tank is King as diffusion is very slow in water , 10,000 slower then in air for CO2, so to generate enough flow in our tanks most folk use the output of the filter to create the water movement.
As @erwin123 posted :thumbup:

So much depends on your goals, a few plants and fish or as lush green aquascape. One shoe doesn't fit all and trickle filter may be fine for your aims and budget. The filter will work but will it be enough! you can always add a powerhead to generate move flow but that creates more hardware in tank

A160 litre CO2 injected tank would be class as getting big however a 160L low tach tank isnt big also.

mentioning cannister filters. What are these
102678-3_1200x.jpg

Like trickle filters or any filter for that matter, canister filters are just filters in a different format. Trickle filters might be cheap to build but they will take lots of space. Canister filters can be hidden in a cabinet. Whether you are using CO2 or not one recommendation is always to plant with enough plant mass. Don't make the mistake of planting a few plants. As for the flow, I am not sure a trickle filter will be enough. You might need to add some power head for proper flow and distribution. I would prefer a proper canister as it provides both filtration and flow but sometimes even that is not enough and an additional filter or power head would be required. For a 160L though, one filter will probably do the trick. I would also add a surface skimmer to make sure you always have proper gas exchange.

Last edited:
Hi @SiobhanGledhill , I don't want to sound patronising, but it's hard when typing. :)
But as you are asking for 'newbie advice' I just want to check if you do have a trickle filter. They are usually big installations and often home-made. Not really 'regular'.
Or is it the filter that came with the tank, which is a variety of internal filter? In which case it should be sufficient for filtration. But you might need more circulation if you are going to inject CO2. For that a powerhead or a circulation pump is a cheaper option than replacing the filter.
hth

Hi @SiobhanGledhill , I don't want to sound patronising, but it's hard when typing. :)
But as you are asking for 'newbie advice' I just want to check if you do have a trickle filter. They are usually big installations and often home-made. Not really 'regular'.
Or is it the filter that came with the tank, which is a variety of internal filter? In which case it should be sufficient for filtration. But you might need more circulation if you are going to inject CO2. For that a powerhead or a circulation pump is a cheaper option than replacing the filter.
hth
Ah ok yes im getting confused, i thought a trickle filter was a filter where the water comes out the top with not much power 😅 in that case yes, I do have the filter that came with the tank originally!

OK, no problem. There's a lot of jargon to get the hang of. :)
I thought about writing a dictionary of aquarium terms once. Then I remembered that I'm quite lazy. :)

A canister filter is certainly not essential. It can be nice as it's outside the tank. That can look better and makes it easy to access for cleaning. It also gives you more options for filling with different media, but that's not so important in a planted tank where the plants do most of the filtering.
I would stick with the filter you have and see how it goes. Then add a powerhead if your plants start to suffer from low flow. And that's quite unlikely unless you decide to go for CO2 injection. Which is also not essential.
hth

Honestly not sure why those exist. They are potentially the cause for disaster as the filter could overflow and could end up partially emptying the tank. I have seen it. One thing is sure, they are dirt cheap.
Hi @Hanuman , I haven't heard that assessment for years. While can see how a Hang On Back filter (HOB) possibly could clog up and overflow due to neglect, just as I can see, with a canister filter, how a hose can pop off a pipe or inlet/outlet, or leak from a faulty gasket or sealing ring, or how a spray bar could become loose and spray water all over the floor (happened to me due to crappy suction cups), I think any of these scenarios are exceedingly unlikely to happen if you are just a bit careful. I've had HOB's (and canisters) for as long as I can remember... Never had a problem with HOBs. I don't think the choice between an HOB and canister should come down to safety along those lines... you can get into trouble with both types of filters quite frankly. My recommendation would come down to capacity requirements and practical considerations such a space constrains in and around the tank etc.

Cheers,
Michael

Last edited:
Hi @MichaelJ,
I did make it sound apocalyptic in my last post but let me answer your comment:
I haven't heard that assessment for years
Not hearing something doesn't make it less real.
While can see how a Hang On Back filter (HOB) possibly could clog up and overflow due to neglect
Not necessarily due to neglect. Many HOB filters are not well designed and some debris accumulation can lead to them overflowing. Bad leveling can lead to leaking from day 1. This is not just mere imagination or theory. It happened to me and it was definitely not due to neglect. Will it happen to everyone? Of course not, same as canister filters leaking.
just as I can see, with a canister filter, how a hose can pop off a pipe or inlet/outlet, or leak from a faulty gasket or sealing ring, or how a spray bar could become loose and spray water all over the floor
Leaks on a canister have also happened to me but if we go down that route anything and everything is not 100% perfect. This said I would chose 10 times out of 10 a canister over a HOB simply because I see the potential of a HOB leaking before a canister. But that's just me. I respect others experience and opinions.
I've had HOB's (and canisters) for as long as I can remember
So have I. I experienced leaks in both. On the HOB it was due to a mere slight accumulation of scum and the filter not being 100% level. So technically this could have happened often. Maybe the design of the HOB? I don't know but clearly not a concern I want to have every other night.
I don't think the choice between an HOB and canister should come down to safety along those lines... you can get into trouble with both types of filters quite frankly.
In my case I think it should. Perhaps not the only reason, but definitely one of them. There is nothing 100% safe. Hell, even your tank can crack and leak.

Back