• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie looking for inspiration

DaveWatkin

Hi all,

So far my journey into planted tanks has been buying plants, putting them in and seeing what grows with no really scaping in mind, just stems at the back and little plants at the front kind of thing.

I have bought a Fluval Flex 57L and this piece of hardscape and am looking for inspiration.

My current plan is to have the stump centered in the tank (island style) surrounded by a carpet of Hemianthus callitrichoides cuba with Cryptocoryne x willisii spread around. I have Staurogyne repens for around the base of the wood and some Juncus repens and Bacopa caroliniana for the background. I am also thinking of a Java fern microsorum pteropus sitting in one of the openings, probably top and there will be Bucephalandra mini needle leaf and Anubias nana growing in spots around the wood.

Am I on the right track do you think and is there anything you would recommend to take advantage of the hollow aspect of the wood, maybe planting in the middle popping out? I would like it to provide a cave for my betta so not fully blocked up.

Should I look at more hardscape? If so do you thing more wood arrangement or some rocks?

All help greatly received, being new to this it's hard to get a good picture in my mind of what would be right.

Dave

EDIT: sorry struggling with imgur!

Last edited:
Hello Dave, I love the stump, it s a really good start, I would use some small rocks around it, or same colour driftwood branch. Also some mosses on the wood is always a good point ! I hope you already have a nice set up!
Yanee

I removed a large piece of wood from my flex. Flow distribution was heavily dampened in this tank. Addition of spray bar is #1 improvement IMO

Back