• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie needing plant advice

darthpaul

I have just setup my Rekord 70 ready for planting. I have dragon stone in and aquabasis in the bottom underneath hagen fine river gravel. At the mo due to costs I have purchased a T6 plant grow to replace the T8 for lighting and am setting up a DIY CO2.

Looks like this currently....
IMG_2873.JPG

Using two different types/colours of stone doesn't usually work although you might get away with it if the redder ones are towards the back.

What plans do you have? Plants / fish? Any wood?

I have the same gravel in my tank and I was a little disappointed that it wasn't finer, having been described as "extra fine". I think they used to do a sand which is what I thought I was buying. I suppose that's the problem with buying stuff over the net as you can't see it up close and personal.

I got the same gravel too... and I'm also disappointed. It was advertised as black, yet its more grey and looks a little washed out.

The dragon stone looks great, but I think the big piece is too big and not really needed. Try it without, or take a hammer to the big 'un.

Yeah, there is black in there, but also grey and white! It took me 7 years to change my last tank substrate so I don't think there'll be a change anytime soon!

The big stone is 2 stones, the taller bit is at the back just looks like 1 piece in the pic. Not planning on adding any other wood or other decorations at the mo. As for fish I am trying to decide if I will move my current freshwater fish from my vary bad blue/green algae'd 120 or to just stock new as they are a bit of a mish mash from the years of buying the odd 1 or 2 fish. The fish currently in my 120 are 3 Black Widow Tetras, 2 Banded Rainbow Fish, 3 Rummy Nose Tetra, 1 neon Rainbow fish.

As for plants thats what I am looking for ideas on what to plant as this is my first attempt at a proper planted tank.

Well, as your using T8/T6 then it's generally classed as a low light tank.

I'd go for some crypts (wendtii's a good one), java fern (Microsorium pteropus - various varieties) and anubias. You could also put some moss in there, although I'm not sure where it could go. It would be a shame to cover up the rock!

Looks so much better with plants in. It always amazes me how plants can soften the hardscape and "hold" everything together.

BTW, here's my tank when I had "dwarf" sag in it:
2546936967_8bcd9a82a9_b.jpg

I ended up pulling it out as it grew too big. The tank is 18" tall so the sag was about 6 inches tall at the time. I used to have a low light tank though with a (possibly) different dwarf sag which only grow to an inch! If you look for dwarf sag, there seems to be S. subulata and S.natans mentioned, not sure if these are two different plants or synonyms though.

Back