• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie planted 150 x 40 x60 (Planted pics pg2 27/04)

Vyncenze

Edit: Cross posted on PFK, for info.

Hi

Well following a lot of reading and some great advice on this forum and over on PFK I am finally getting to the point that I can start my first planted tank build! It's a bit daunting to be honest... Hopefully if I can keep this thread updated you kind people will continue to help out and I can avoid too many expensive mistakes!

The tank

So first things first - the tank. I have bought from MA a 150 x 40 x 60 cm tank on a solid oak stand. They have a special offer at the moment on this particular model and it set me back £699. It's a lovely piece of furniture (which was important as it sits in the front room and my gf - while tolerant - is not a fishkeeper) but it is an unusual shape (very narrow and quite tall). I think aquascaping and getting the flow right are going to be added challenges...

5581657361_913dbbb1a6_z.jpg

The shots below show my current tank, and then the new and old side by side. As you can see, the old tank wasn't "planted" as such (T8s, no Co2, no ferts) so this is a big change for me. Sadly I don't have space for 2 tanks so once the new one is setup and livestock moved across the Rio will be eBayed.

5581652073_a69f1c02f3_z.jpg

5582248720_23444e12cd_z.jpg

I think the tank holds about 350l or so. It has a solid oak hood which is both heavy and chunky but I like the look so my lighting choices have been dictated somewhat by that.

Lighting

For lights, I have gone for a D-D razor 2 x 54W T5 unit from Coventry aquatics.
http://coventryaquatics.com/freshwa....html?osCsid=85c60ea3d91afa69b5f38d67dbe6cd54

I also have 2 AquaFX light bars and a control unit which I got from eBay (refurbished). The idea is to use these for moonlighting at night and for a sunrise and sunset effect around the main lighting.

I hope the lighting I've chosen will be sufficient for decent plant growth. I've taken on board a lot of comments about not lighting too heavily so the idea is that my growth will be moderate but healthy and I won't have to go too crazy with the CO2 and ferts. The plan is to mount both the LEDs and the T5s onto the underside of the hood, but I'm thinking I'll use hooks so that I can remove the hood for tank maintenance and still have the lights resting on the cover glasses.

CO2

This will be my first effort at CO2 injection. I am going the fire extinguisher route and have managed to find a local supplier who will do straight exchanges on spent FEs for £10 (or £20 for a 5kg but I don't think that will fit the cabinet). I have bought a TMC regulator/solenoid (below) from AE, everything else is on its way from Malaysia through eBay. I've changed my mind repeatedly about how to diffuse the gas into the water so I actually have 2 Rhinox 5000 diffusers, a cheap reactor, and an UP atomizer on the way! My current thinking is I'll use the atomizer on the smaller external filter (discussed below) and sell the other bits on, but we'll see.

5582251288_7b68c89037_z.jpg

Filtration and flow

For filtration I have bought a 2000LPH external cannister from http://www.allpondsolutions.com. I had my doubts but there are a lot of good reviews for this model and at the price (£69.99) it seems a bargain. It has a built in UV as well. I have also bought a second 1400LPH version of the same filter for the other side of the tank. It's slightly smaller so the idea is it will sit in with the CO2 system. I'm hoping to attach the outflow from this filter to the UP atomizer and then output through a lily pipe or similar, pushing the flow of gas across the back of the tank with the spray bar from the 2000lph filter sitting above and helping to keep the CO2 under water longer, pushing it towards the front of the tank. I have no idea if that will work. I'm considering buying a Koralia pump as well but I don't really know how best to position everything so any advice would be great!

The filter is shown below. It's a bit of a beast, and I'm quite happy with how it looks. Seems well built. I'll be transferring media over from the mature Eheim 2215 which is currently servicing my old tank.

5582245744_f2c8cb1983_z.jpg

Substrate

After much thought I've decided to go with Playsand again. I know it's a divisive issue but I really like the look of light-coloured sand and I also like the sort of fish that like it (if that makes sense). I'm planning to put some Osmocote under the sand (which will be fairly deep), but basically I will be relying on my water column ferts to provide the plants with food. Hope I don't live to regret that. It's easy on the pocket though - got 60kg for £12 from Argos :)

Ferts

For now, I'm going to try http://www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/ rather than full EI. I've bought a 3 month supply for £12, and I'll see how I get on with that. The tank will have a relatively high stocking for planted tanks and I have very hard tap-water so it may be that EI will be a better bet long term allowing me to tweak the nitrogen input especially, but the mixes this guy supplies seem to have very good reviews so I'm going to try it. Also, you get a nice dosing bottle.

Hardscaping

I'm going for Sumatra wood, for sure. I'm not sure yet what, if any, rockwork I'll be using. I'm waiting for the wood to arrive so I can play around and see what sort of look I like. At the moment I'm favouring a sort of beach effect with a lush, tangled natural area towards one end, opening out into a large open space at the other. The gf isn't convinced though, and I think it's going to be very much a question of trying things out. The narrow width of the tank is likely to cause a few issues, so anyone with any thoughts on how they might use a tank like this would be very welcome to make suggestions!

Stocking

The current stock from my Rio will be moving over. For me, this hobby has always been about fish first, and that is likely to continue. I hope I can make the tank work for both the plants and the fish. They include the usual community suspects - Neons, glowlight danios, Pentazona barbs, corys and kuhlis, plus a lovely group of Sids and a slightly boisterous BN plec. And some shrimps. To be honest I'm slightly over stocked right now for the Rio, but they should be a healthy group in the new tank.

You may have noticed there isn't a plants section yet! That's still very much in the early stages and will have to be the subject of a later post. For now, the first step is to get all the equipment hooked up and the substrate and wood in (hopefully next weekend) and then see where we stand. Can't wait.

Any comments will be gratefully received, thank you for reading!

Joe

Re: Newbie planted 150 x 40 x60 - from the beginning...

Nice post Joe. Great to see the effort and thought put into it....Look forward to your future posts :)

Thanks for the comments. Corki, that's very kind of you to do the EI calcs for me, a job I was too lazy for. I may well give them a shot depending on how I get on with the pre-mix.

Received my other filter today (exactly the same but 1400LPH to fit the cabinet together with the FE). Have to say they look pretty good, but the proof will be in the pudding.

I have a current worry about whether the TMC reg I've chosen will be able to supply enough pressure for the UP atomiser? Reading around the web people seem to be struggling with these and my reg has no working pressure adjustment (at least nothing documented). Guess we will see...

That cabinet is great, love the colour.

I was looking at that filter a few days ago and was wondering how good they were.

I love opti White rimless tanks on minimalist cabinets but this make a refreshing change and looks stunning, looks really well built.

Nice tank next to it too :)

Wood arrived today! Not sure if I have quite enough, might have to order some more and/or combine it with the Redmoor from my old tank. I'll try to get some pics up.

Stunning looking tank, look forward to more.

Hi again

So, a bit of an update:

Over the weekend we set up the tank, filters, lighting etc etc. For the first time in my tank-owning history, I made the effort to plan the positioning and installation of the equipment in advance, and as a result have ended up with tidy cabinets! Quite a revelation.

5619086190_bb1c452fbe_z.jpg

5618505043_21c43388b1_z.jpg

The filters I am pretty pleased with. They were a nightmare to prime (or at least the big one was) but the flow is very good, they're nice and quiet and they actually seem very well built and designed.

The tank itself then. It took me 4 hours to wash the play sand through (3 bags) and I still have one to go. Not sure yet if it's going to be needed. I put a very sparse layer of osmocote on the bottom before adding the sand, which is around 2-3 inches deep across the tank. The wood, as you can probably see, is going to need a bit of time to sink :p

5619087920_83c8720927_z.jpg

A couple of observations about this tank. As lovely as I think it is as a piece of furniture, it's quite old-fashioned by design. It has sliding coverglasses at the top which again are well built, but make it a bit harder to work with as you have to work around the fixed pieces which act as braces. It's also very tall. The cabinet is about 83cm, and the tank another 63 ish. That means that even for me (at 6' 4") working at the bottom of the tank is right at the limit of what I can reach without a step. Also, the solid oak lid is too heavy and cumbersome for me to lift by myself, which means I need my partner to help me move it when I'm going to do any serious work in the tank.

As you can see below, I have set up both the razor light unit and the Aqua-FX LEDs so they can be disconnected from the hood and left resting on the cover glasses.

5619098698_2d17c5c68c_z.jpg

The next one shows a close up of the wood. It's a mixture of sumatran driftwood and redmoor from AE and Aquajardin respectively. I've pretty much decided I'm going to stick with wood and plants only - no rocks in this scape.

5619089756_2322e8a3e1_z.jpg

I also received my CO2 equipment in the post this week. I've rigged the CO2 up to an UP-Aqua reactor, powered by a 1200lph pump (pics below). It remains to be seen if this is the best system, and any advice would be welcomed. The two filters are hooked up to spray bars which run pretty much the whole back length of the tank, my hope is that byving the CO2 reactor outlet along the bottom of the tank, the flow from the spraybars will help to keep the micro-bubbles submerged and push them right around the tank.

5618508707_1025b5eef5_z.jpg

5619096836_1051ecc417_z.jpg

So now it's a question of choosing plants (and waiting for the wood to sink). Any suggestions on suitable plants for a tall thin tank are welcome :) The only one I'm set on at the moment is a tiger lily as a feature plant - I think they're gorgeous.

Joe

Re: Newbie planted 150 x 40 x60 (Updated 14/04)

Nice looking tank. Keep us updated...

Re: Newbie planted 150 x 40 x60 (Updated 14/04)

So finally got some plants in! Here's the (nearly) finished article. Still a few more plants to go in which haven't arrived yet.

5661526696_89ae0ee140_z.jpg

5661494956_463684642a_z.jpg

5661503912_39c9e4f3c3_z.jpg

5661508216_d35b4c5f6f_z.jpg

5661490952_3819f193d4_z.jpg

As you can see, it's sort of a wild approach. I'm pretty pleased with the layout of the wood for the most part, but I've had to use the old tights+sand sandbags to hold down a couple of the larger pieces for now.

I'm using an inline diffuser on the outlet of the smaller filter and a pump to blow the output from the spraybar right across the tank. This seems to be working pretty well, with the drop checker showing consistent lime green everywhere I've tried.

My current lighting is 8 hours a day (full light with the T5s) and then sunrise and sunset phases a couple of hours either side using just LEDs. So far no problems but then it's only been three days!

Your comments very welcome. I'll add a plant list in a bit - basically I've tried to pick plants which I think I've at least got a chance with (red cabomba being the exception but I thought why not try?!) As you can see I struggled planting the UG, I've left some of the rock wool attached and plonked it into one of my sandbags with the hope it will grow out and cover the "dome". No idea if that will work....

No fish yet, although I've added filter media from my old tank to hurry things along I still have a strong nitrite reading at the moment so just waiting for that to drop off.

Plant list then:

Ebay:
Hygrophila Polysperma 'Rosa Nervis'
Cabomba (green and red)

Very impressed with all of these, especially for the price (effectively 30 stems for about £7.50).

AE (Aquafleur):
Sagittaria Platyphylla
Pogostemon Helferi
Bolbitus Heudelotii
Nymphaea Zenkeri Bulb
Micromanthemum Umbrosum
Echinodorus Red Devil
Hemianthus Callitrichoides
Eustralis Stellata
Rotala Rotundifolia
Echinodorus Rosea
Juncus Repens

Again, good plants and happy with the quality. I'm not convinced about the bulb though - no signs of life yet.

Green Machine (Tropica):
Aponogeton crispus 'Red'
Utricularia graminifolia

The Aponogeton was £13, by far my most expensive plant. It's nice, but you don't get a lot of plant for your money...

I've also added several Anubias Nana plants from my old tank, and a couple of moss balls.

Back