• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie question about filling the tank.

Lee Sweeting

Just a quick question, and probably a silly one. I'm just starting a brand new planted tank and was wondering if i need to treat the water with water conditioner before i put it in the tank or can i fill the tank and then add the water conditioner? Obviously the plants will be in the tank before i fill for the first time. I know i need to condition the water before it goes in the tank when i am doing water changes, so it doesn't affect any beneficial bacteria. I just wasn't sure if untreated tap water would affect the plants, obviously it would be a lot easier, when filling the tank for the first time to add the water conditioner after the tank has filled.

thanks,

Lee.

You can easily just add a bulk dose with the first lot of water and then just fill the tank up, that's a really easy way.

Put conditioner in tank, turn on hose pipe and point at where you added conditioner. Leave to fill. Result!

It's worth putting a plastic pot/sheet of bubble wrap/plate under the hosepipe exit so you don't dig a hole in your substrate.

Put conditioner in tank, turn on hose pipe and point at where you added conditioner. Leave to fill. Result!

It's worth putting a plastic pot/sheet of bubble wrap/plate under the hosepipe exit so you don't dig a hole in your substrate.

sfjo.jpg

voila! Heres one i prepared earlier :)
Water conditioner added just after the hose started. Actually i added half dose until the tank was half filled, then the rest.

Cheerio,
Ady.

Back