• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie to Shrimp Keeping

REDSTEVEO

20201117_172159.jpg
I have just started keeping the bog standard Red Cherry Shrimp. I started off with 10, now I've got about 70 odd, with more tiny one's appearing every week.

I have just moved them all into a planted Jewel Lido 200 litre tank yesterday. They seem to be loving it.

Is it okay to add a group of about 15 Ember Tetras in there with them?

Also is it possible to add any other kind of shrimp in there with them or should I stick with the one species?
20201117_172159.jpg
20201117_171747.jpg
20201117_171747.jpg

Looking good. The issue with mixing shrimps that can breed, ie other Neocardina (yellow, blue shrimp etc) is it will impact the gene pool and thus colouration of the offspring. If you're not worried, then shouldn't be an issue. You could go for a different species like Amano, then you wouldn't have to worry about inter breeding.

More info here on what you can and cant mix

https://www.theshrimpfarm.com/articles/dwarf-shrimp-compatibility-chart.php

Last edited:
is it okay to add a group of about 15 Ember Tetras in there with them?

No firsthand experience, but I trawled the internet when I was looking at what fish to join my CRs and Embers were one that came up as one fo the safer ones. The general consensus is that pretty much every fish will go after the hatchlings, but several forums had people whose experience was that their embers didn't. In a well planted tank the shrimp fry should have somewhere to hide, which increases their chances.

Cheers,
Simon

No firsthand experience, but I trawled the internet when I was looking at what fish to join my CRs and Embers were one that came up as one fo the safer ones. The general consensus is that pretty much every fish will go after the hatchlings, but several forums had people whose experience was that their embers didn't. In a well planted tank the shrimp fry should have somewhere to hide, which increases their chances.

Cheers,
Simon
The one thing I was trying to avoid was that all the shrimp should be hiding. I like watching them bimble about.

I used to keep cherry shrimp with cardinal tetras, ember tetras, kitty tetras, clown pleco, bristlenose plecs, otos.

I currently have tangerine tiger shrimp which can be kept with red cherry shrimp as they won't interbreed. You can try green babaulti Shrimp which won't breed with either the cherry's or the tiger shrimp. Amanos do eat cherry shrimp when they're molting.

The one thing I was trying to avoid was that all the shrimp should be hiding. I like watching them bimble about.
Yeah when I added my Cherry Barbs, my CRS definitely started hiding a little more. It's not that they are scared of the barbs - on the contrary, they're happy to headbutt a barb if it's in the way - but I notice that they no longer hang out on top of plants and stones as frequently - they're more likely to hang out nestled inside some moss, or in the rooty depths of a Pogostomon. So I see about 25% less out and about than I used to.

Hi @REDSTEVEO

I like the following resource:

Shrimps Archives - Shrimp and Snail Breeder

It provides a lot of info about shrimp. I draw your attention to the statement in the Legal Info side-panel:

"Aquariumbreeder.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program". So, the site will attempt to promote sales but it's rare for any site to give unbiased information. Having said that, I have found Michael (see 'About Me') to be very helpful.

JPC

As a fellow newbie to shrimp keeping I can totally understand the love of watching them bimble about. I’m not quite at the stage of giving the Alpha Female a name, but..

Back