• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newbie to the planted tank world - Lighting advice required

Swim Shady

Hi guys and girls
Im new to the whole planted tank world of aquariums but am throughly enjoying it so far.
I have been running my tank now for approx 8 months but over the last few weeks I have re-scaped it and upgraded a few things (light, Co2, new plants + substrate) so I thought it was about time I joined this site and shared my tank.
I've got myself a copy of Aquascaping by George Farmer and its been a fasinating and educational read and I paid a recent visit to Aquarium Gardens who have helped me massively.
I'd love to hear peoples views be it good or bad and would be grateful if you could maybe answer a few questions (at the bottom) or point me in the right direction.

Heres what I am running so far -
Equipment -
Fluval Spec 60l (L56 xW 29 x H45 cm)
Fluval Plant 3.0 (just uprgaded from the aquasky 2.0) 8hrs photoperiod per day with 1/2hr ramp up and down
Aquamanta EFX200 external filter (800l p/h) with spray bar spraying from left side of tank.
Aquael Ultra 100w heater set to 23c
Fluval inline UVC clarifier
C02 Arts Pro SE dual stage regulator with solenoid
C02 Art inline diffuser
C02 Art drop checker

Substrate -
Tropica Aquarium soil approx 3l
Aquarium river sand

Flora & Fauna -
Ludwigia sp. mini super red
Hydrocotyle tripartita
Eleocharis acicularis mini
Eleocharis parvula
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Cryptocoryne bullosa
Cryptocoryne balansae
Micranthemum monte carlo
Hyrophila guanensis
Microsorium pteropus
Anubias barteri
Vesicularia dubyanan
Chladoflora

Harlequin rasbora - x4
Hengali rasbora - x3
Sissortail rasbora x3
Hillstream loach x3
Kuhli loach x3
Sparkling Gourami x4
Amano shrimp x4
I'm overstocked for sure but my larger capactiy filter seems to keep the water parameters in check.

Fertilizer -
Co2 injection through inline diffuser at 2 bps using the spray bar to mist around the entire aquarium - set on a timer to come on 1hr before lights on and turn of 1hr before lights out.
The 2hr Aquarist APT 3 complete - 2ml daily
Easylife Easycarbo - 1.2ml daily

This is my first tank for about 25yrs so its very much a learning curve again but my aim is to upgrade at some point to a new tank with a capacity of approx 200/250 litres.
I would be grateful if someone in the know could work out the best light settings for this setup using my fluval plant 3.0. I had a good setup with the aquasky 2.0 but the plant 3.0 is more powerfull at 22w and has a different spectrum.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts/advice
Heres a few pictures -
Front of Tank.jpg

Spec 60.jpg

Filter & Co2.jpg

Swim Shady

Where lighting is concerned, the only tricky plant is the Eleocharis acicularis mini which does require quite a bit of light. Since you are mixing Parvula and Mini hairgrasses together I guess it doesn't matter because the Parvula will just grow faster and take over from the Mini.

Everything else will do fine with 22w LED.

Where lighting is concerned, the only tricky plant is the Eleocharis acicularis mini which does require quite a bit of light. Since you are mixing Parvula and Mini hairgrasses together I guess it doesn't matter because the Parvula will just grow faster and take over from the Mini.

Everything else will do fine with 22w LED.
Thankyou for your reply, the idea was to mix the species up abit to give a more natural scattered vibe. I will just have to maintan them to keep them approx the same height I guess.
I am currently running the plant 3.0 about 1in above the water surface with the below settings -

20% pink
2% blue
30% cold white
30% pure white
30% warm white.
Being new to this i need to work out what PAR is required at the depth of the plants/tank and then work out how to set each spectrum accordingly. Im sure I will get there, its just an absolute mind blow at the min.

Back