• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Newby to the site

banthaman.jm

So here goes...

I am trying to see what people think of my tank and if people think i have enough light for growing Eleocharis parvula mini as a carpet.

18 inch cube tank.
2x 30 watt Beamswork green evo, 10 x 3w LEDs, 6500k, 1350 lumens each, 100 PAR @ 10 inches or 0.66 watt per litre.
Lights to substrate 21 inches
CO2Art sodastream set
Fluval 206
TMC V2 PowerFlow 1000
JBL Aquabasis Plus & JBL Monado
Ferropol 24h

Fish
x5 Otto
x6 Amano shrimp
x1 Cherry shrimp
x2 Golden Rams
x5 guppy

Here is a pic:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hope these images upload...

Cherryshrimp_zps3214f445.jpg

thetank_zps43de975e.jpg

Amanoshrimponbogwood_zps5c58aac4.jpg

Amanoshrimp_zpsbee8eefa.jpg

GoldenRammale1_zpsb1fc33c8.jpg

Beamsworks18inch_zps46e1dbec.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
60w over a tank that small? I'm sure you have plenty of ligh, if not too much.

Hi Martin, thanks for your comment. The tank was run for 5 weeks with no fish, filter media from an old tank and filter start. Two weeks ago the Eleocharis, Anubias and Alternanthera were added and then Valis last Sunday. The fish were added Monday with no fatalities.

Hi Henry, thanks for the comment. The light can be turned down from 10 LEDs to 3 per light. So far no algae with lights on full, fish seem fine but monitoring everything closely.

Some algae now present in the tank so just trying to blalance lights, EI and lights. Eleocharis is growing in but quite a lot of die back, flo issues I think!

Hi Banthaman, I was reading Luckjim's Post :) You were saying about Assassin snails with shrimp.I have assassins in my tank with amano shrimp now for a couple of months the shrimp are safe the assassins never bother them :) They do eat the old skin from the shrimp though for the Calcium. Apart from that they just snack on the pest snails :D

Hi Roy, thanks for the advise on assassin snails. In your opinion should i just put assassins in or use them along side the kale method?
Jim

Hello Banthaman. Nice tank. What do you think of the JBL Aquabasis?

Hi Mic,
I'm glad you like my tank :) it has grown in quite a bit since those photos (will have to update this thread soon). In regards to the JBL soil the aqua base offers low amounts of NPK, not a problem if like me you use EI dosing. The Monado top allows the carpet plants to run their roots well. One of the draw backs to this soil is that it is very light, plants up-root quite easily and when planting new plants it can be quite difficult. Here is a link to another thread: http://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/manando.8445/#post-97541 in summary i would use it again in another tank due to its low cost.
I hope this helps you a bit.
Jim

Cheers for the info Jim. Look forward to seeing more pics it's always interesting to see the difference
once everything has grown in.

Hi Mic,
It is Alternanthera cardinalis in the background, really nice reds and purples from it which contrasts well with the Monte carlo. I have got rid of the valis as it never really looked right in my tank, plus i kept finding runners each day which i had to trim back.

Have you thought any more on what soil you will use?
Jim

Alternanthera is a real nice plant. Might give it a go myself. As for soil I will look at all the options
and do plenty of research. There is loads of good threads on here to look through.

Back