• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

newly planted aquarium

gsxrjames

Seedling
iv just planted 5 new plants in my aquarium, iv planted them straight into the gravel substrate, will they survive? iv feed them with a liquid plant food, im new to planted aquariums.

any advice would be welcome

thanks

james

It all depends on the species? some like anubias and java fern will not, some like the Crinum Natans will need their rhizome above the substrate and many others will do perfectly well buried into the substrate...

Hi and welcome to UKAPS!

It all depends on your setup and as liveinazoo says, the species.

We really need to know a but more about your setup. I know you've added some "liquid plant food" but what was it and how much?

For your plants to thrive they need, food in the form of fertiliser and a source of carbon, along with sufficient lighting.

Can you please tell us about your setup:
Tank size
Filtration
Maintenance schedule
CO2/Carbon source
Fertiliser brand and quantities added
Lighting strength and photoperiod

Once we have these details then we'll be able to help you further.

Cheers, Dan

Thanks for the reply

the plants I have are:

1 x roseafolia
1 x bleheri
1 x ceratopteris
1 x hygrophila
2 x pogostemon

the tank is 125l
king British aquatic plant food 10ml every two weeks???

All plants seem to be doing well apart from the ceratopteris

The ceratopteris is a floating plant and in my experience it will not do well buried in the substrate. If you want it to look as if it's buried then you can always tie it down to a rock or bit of wood.
I am not familiar with the brand of fertiliser but if you do notice any defficiencies then check the ingredients to make sure that it contains NPK as well as trace elements.

Hi James, it would be my guess that they won't do too well. I've not heard of the King British fertiliser but 10ml per fortnight has to be to little. I'd guess it's aimed at the low-energy tanks of years gone by and i'd take a guess that it doesn't contain N P or K.

Have a read through some of the member's articles here, this will give you a wider understanding about general plant growth and their requirements.....http://www.ukaps.org/articles.htm

Back