• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Next step after hard scape...?

Janci

I am reading a lot on many forums and websites before setting up my planted tank.
It seems to be general practice to first add substrate and do the hard scape.
All clear here, no questions.

But what to do next?
There is a big variety of actions and I am not sure which one would be best for my tank.
Mine will be 110x80x42cm, 50% carpet planted with rock scape + 30% stem plants. Some of the stem plants I like to let emerge.

So when I have the substrate and rocks in (according to my layout) I would have the following options:
- start DSM for the lower plants (carpet). This would allow me to start with a little quantity of plants and to get the carpet more or less full before planting the rest and complete floading
- plant everything and fill up the tank to start the cycle.
- just fill up the tank, let it cycle with the ammonia that is being released by the soil, do some water changes and start planting after about 3 weeks (I read about this method at The Green Machine)

Is there any preference?

I would go for the DSM if doing a carpet.

It would be possible to start DSM for the lowest carpet area, but then all plants that are above the carpet, will be planted later.
As for the substrate for this carpet, are there any recommendations?
If for example I start with a ADA Amazonio, keep this wet for several weeks, it will leach a lot of ammonia that most probably will not be converted in anything due to the stagnant water.
I think on going with the Tropica soil, but have doubts when using it with DSM.

It would be possible to start DSM for the lowest carpet area, but then all plants that are above the carpet, will be planted later.

yep thats what I did
upload_2016-12-15_20-33-24-png-12246-png.png

I Used ADA Amazonia as then there nutrients for the DSM and the price difference isnt that much.

ADA Amazonio, keep this wet for several weeks, it will leach a lot of ammonia that most probably will not be converted in anything due to the stagnant water.

Nope as you will only have the AS moist without any puddling of water, during the DSM the AS will cycle esp if the DSM is over 6 weeks. I Had livestock in pretty quick after DSM but did cycle filter before flooding.

yep thats what I did
upload_2016-12-15_20-33-24-png-12246-png.png

I Used ADA Amazonia as then there nutrients for the DSM and the price difference isnt that much.

Nope as you will only have the AS moist without any puddling of water, during the DSM the AS will cycle esp if the DSM is over 6 weeks. I Had livestock in pretty quick after DSM but did cycle filter before flooding.

Gorgeous hard scape

Back