• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Next tank planning.. 40cm cube

ourmanflint

So, a month has passed since I persuaded my GF we should have a small tank in the living room, that one an aquanano 30 is now done, and the GF likes it, so unbeknowns to her I snuck in another aquanano 40 into the back bedroom.
Now, she is off on her annual trip back home to visit the family in Northern Thailand, so I have about a month to get this one going and looking good before she gets back! Sneaky sneak that I am!
The plan is to try the dry start method with this one, but was wondering what lighting would be best for 40cm deep tank? I've been looking at this beamswork LED but wondered if it might be too bright? It's 18w in total.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Beamswork...4?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item233281e1fa

Cheers

Rod

I have no input about the lighting,but I love your style !
Sneaking in tanks whilst the GF is away !
Genius...

I'm running that tank with the standard 18w PL on liquid carbon and it's pretty good for the small tank size. I slipped a GroBeam 500 over it for a while but the fish were blinded and hid all the time:cool:

What plants are you growing?

I think I'll be going for wood/moss combo, crypts, Bucephelandra and a few stems, not sure which yet and perhaps some floating plants. I think the GroBeams are 24W though not sure if that's right. I do like brighter tanks though where the greens really pop.

If this is the same with the rear filter section then use half the black foam as it just blocks the flow. I used a plastic drinking glass with holes cut out to stand the black foam on and the shoved a purigen sachet underneath. The purigen clarifies the water so colours really pop

I've got crypts, anubias, java narrow and amazon sword with some nice wood. The black background really helps too

it is the same one James, I really like having everything out of the tank and hidden away. I'll be replacing the pump that comes with the aquanano to one that does 600 lph plus has a spraybar that attaches so I can aim the return towards the surface, it still fits in the rear compartment though and uses the small hole to connect the spraybar. I agree with you about the foam, it's not really needed in such a size, so yes I will chop it in half. I was also hoping to surface skim the outflow to help with gas exchange and keep surface clean, though this will entail some experimentation to get right.

Cheers

I'm using a little eheim instead. Mounted on the bottom with a flexible hose. You could block the original hole and drill one higher up and more to the side for a full length spraybar. I get very little surface scuzz. I also run an air stone through the ceramic noodles overnight

Not sure how to incorporate a skim into the weir though

I was going to get the old Dremel out, then rout out the existing weir and replace with a comb type weir, the kind you get on marine tanks. Then just a matter of balancing pump output so I get a drop from the weir itself. I think it could work, not sure about noise though.

I use the existing fixture and run the water level 3/4 up the height. There is a noticeable drop of 3-5mm from the tanks side to the filter compartment as it comes through.

If you could attach something through the existing bars that floats you could rig a movable skim the rises/falls with water level and saves you cutting up the tank

Back