• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nice to meet ya’ll and found lava rocks

UseHerName

Hi,
I’m new here , learning loads from all of your super informative posts! Thank you for sharing all your knowledge. I’m going to start a new project, I’m quite new to this, but I’ll post more as I go. I got a 90L tank, nice root, some dragon rocks and I’m waiting on my delivery of soil and plants from pro shrimp. I do have a question if anyone can help - I recently came back from a trip to Israel and found some nice lava rocks in a lake, any reason why not to use them after thorough cleaning?
Thank you in advance!
Hadar

Attachments

• A23A4AC6-3C5E-4865-96F7-41865B7D612F.jpeg
    A23A4AC6-3C5E-4865-96F7-41865B7D612F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 206
They will likely be fine, there are ways to test that they’re safe for aquarium use and don’t contain any nuisance metals.
I’m not sure exactly what products you need to use but I’m a sure a quick search along the lines “how to tests rocks are safe for aquarium use” will drag something up.

They will likely be fine, there are ways to test that they’re safe for aquarium use and don’t contain any nuisance metals.
I’m not sure exactly what products you need to use but I’m a sure a quick search along the lines “how to tests rocks are safe for aquarium use” will drag something up.
Many thanks!

Welcome to UKAPS. As long as it's genuine Lava Rock should be ok. If unsure you could test with vinegar or better still API Nitrate Test 1 which is pretty accurate. Research were you found them on internet

Welcome to UKAPS. As long as it's genuine Lava Rock should be ok. If unsure you could test with vinegar or better still API Nitrate Test 1 which is pretty accurate. Research were you found them on internet
Thank you for that! Yeah, it’s from the north of Israel and it was inside a lake, so I believe it is genuine, but I will test it anyway. Thanks again.

Welcome!
I'm not playing the devil's advocate. I wanted to add some lava rock to my tank as well. But then I asked myself: all these little holes filled up with detritus, uneaten food, fish poo or decaying plant matter. Could that be a problem in the long run?

Lava Rock is fine mosses and epiphytes do really well attached and it is a magnet for beneficial bacteria . When do maintenance a turkey baster is handy disturb any debris to be removed.

Hi,
I’m new here , learning loads from all of your super informative posts! Thank you for sharing all your knowledge. I’m going to start a new project, I’m quite new to this, but I’ll post more as I go. I got a 90L tank, nice root, some dragon rocks and I’m waiting on my delivery of soil and plants from pro shrimp. I do have a question if anyone can help - I recently came back from a trip to Israel and found some nice lava rocks in a lake, any reason why not to use them after thorough cleaning?
Thank you in advance!
Hadar
Welcome!
I'm not playing the devil's advocate. I wanted to add some lava rock to my tank as well. But then I asked myself: all these little holes filled up with detritus, uneaten food, fish poo or decaying plant matter. Could that be a problem in the long run?
yeah, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. they seem fairly clean, also cleaned them very well and I'll see how it goes. I can tell you that after soaking the dragon rocks, that I bought in the pet shop, the water were by far dirtier compared with the lava rocks.

Attachments

• 65E16C47-B4DF-4150-BE14-77568E8B9BEF.jpeg
    65E16C47-B4DF-4150-BE14-77568E8B9BEF.jpeg
    796.9 KB · Views: 84
Lava Rock is fine mosses and epiphytes do really well attached and it is a magnet for beneficial bacteria . When do maintenance a turkey baster is handy disturb any debris to be removed.
Good thinking, cause of the holes! thank you for the tip

yeah, I don't know, that's why I'm asking. they seem fairly clean, also cleaned them very well and I'll see how it goes. I can tell you that after soaking the dragon rocks, that I bought in the pet shop, the water were by far dirtier compared with the lava rocks.
Yeah, dragon stone is a soft rock made mostly of clay. Some of that clay's not compacted and that's why it needs cleaning. On the other hand, lava rock is solidified magma. So, less sediment to clean. It's a cool rock though 😁
A turkey blaster would help indeed. Both rocks don't affect water parameters. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it's going to look awesome.

Yeah, dragon stone is a soft rock made mostly of clay. Some of that clay's not compacted and that's why it needs cleaning. On the other hand, lava rock is solidified magma. So, less sediment to clean. It's a cool rock though 😁
A turkey blaster would help indeed. Both rocks don't affect water parameters. Whatever you choose, I'm sure it's going to look awesome.
I tried both and the dragon rock literally crumbled and left some pieces that I had to dig out of the aqua soil. In any case, I think I had a preference for the Lava because of its Color and because it’s from my homeland:) here’s a photo from above before I filled it with water. I’ll post more after the glass will be less bubbly:)

Attachments

• 994C9034-0433-4084-B592-4AD07F49BBF5.jpeg
    994C9034-0433-4084-B592-4AD07F49BBF5.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 72
Back