• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nigel's Iwagumi 128L

Nigel95

Hello welcome to my Iwagumi minimalist journal! Started with the hobby around march 2017 and I really like it so far. This is my second tank, my first tank was a 25L but it was way to small IMO.

Specs
Tank

80x40x40 cm / 31,49x15,75x15,75" opticwhite 8mm
34 gallon / 128 litre
Lighting
Aquatlantis easy led 742
Stones
Dragon stone
Substrate
ADA Aqua Soil
Shrimp
20 Red cherry
17 Amano
Fish
20 green neon tetra
Plants
Monte carlo in the front/middle and eleocharis acicularis mini around the stones / in the back.
Co2
Pressurized CO2 with a diffusor
co2 30 ppm
Heater
Hydor eth 200 / 24 degrees Celcius
Filter
Eheim 2426 with stainless steel lily pipes
Background
Frosted glass spray

Final video

Day 1

Made a pretty good deal and bought a 80x40x40 cm / 31,49x15,75x15,75" opticwhite 8mm tank with cabinet. Only front and side panels are opticwhite.
25je6q1.jpg

I really love seiryu stones but the seller gave me a lot of dragon stone.
5v0yeb.jpg

Hardscape
2iqe5j8.jpg

Day 1
2u55hg5.jpg

Day 14
Optimized_SAM_1913.jpg

Day 26
iwagumi_128l_day_26_cropped.jpg

Last edited:
Found a cheaper light (second hand) CRI 80 but full spectrum (3200 lumens). Can't dim the lighting but I can play with the height. I think the lighting stand wouldn't hold the heavy black box, so that's why I went for this. The lighting build slowly up/down in 1 hour. So I guess the fish will be happy :)
nybrzs.jpg

Have a look at my Youtube channel :)
>> www.youtube.com/nigelaquascaping
<<

Decided to buy the Eheim 2426 because it comes with filter media and is easier for maintenance. And is almost the same price as the eheim 2217.

Gonna use this hardscape. Critique still welcome!
2i7yaac.jpg

Last edited:
Dragon stones are dramatic stones, hence the name, IMHO; so I would use bigger than these, so the main stones would be closer to the surface; or keep these but build a platform with the small ones and glue those on top , or something like that; you wouldn't want to see them buried under the "veggies " now, would you ? :);)

Dragon stones are dramatic stones, hence the name, IMHO; so I would use bigger than these, so the main stones would be closer to the surface; or keep these but build a platform with the small ones and glue those on top , or something like that; you wouldn't want to see them buried under the "veggies " now, would you ? :);)

Hmm I tried some bigger stones on the right but I didn't like the look tbh. The little stones on the right are ment to be further in thej flow of the 'river' as my lily pipes are on the left.

I think that the circle of stones around main stones looks a bit unnatural, it looks like a sundial.
Maybe try to align their direction with main stone

Those 2 stone right of main stones - try to stand them on shorter side, lean them in the same way as the main stone or a bit more so the are parallel with main stone or leaning a bit more to the right. This way the bigger of those 2 rocks would look like it has chipped off of main stone.
I'd put back the stones you took away.

Those 2 stone right of main stones - try to stand them on shorter side, lean them in the same way as the main stone or a bit more so the are parallel with main stone or leaning a bit more to the right. This way the bigger of those 2 rocks would look like it has chipped off of main stone.
I'd put back the stones you took away.

I replaced the small stones on the right with some larger ones.

Hi
Dont bury the small ish stones in the substrate too much . It my look a bit out of plase but when the carpet grows in it will be better.Had to pull stones up when I had iwagumi as didnt had in mind the plant grouth in the setup stage and they almost disappeared
All the best with the scape and keep the updates comming
Regards Konsa

Lights are pretty high but wanna avoid algae. Gonna lower them every week and keeping the lights at 7 hours (first hour builds slowly up and last hour slowly down)

Not sure what to do with my 25L. Breed shrimp for this one or sell it? Help me out

Around 5-6 bps atm and drop checker lime green / yellow. Flow is pretty high turned it a little down. In the right back grass is still moving with the flow.

Some pics ;)
SAM_1662.JPG
SAM_1665.JPG
SAM_1666.JPG
SAM_1667.JPG

It looks a bit artificial with clear straight horizontal border between monte carlo and grass and almost straight line at the back. It's further strenghtened by how border between lit and ulnlit areas in the background.
Let's see how it looks a bit more matured.

It looks a bit artificial with clear straight horizontal border between monte carlo and grass and almost straight line at the back. It's further strenghtened by how border between lit and ulnlit areas in the background.
Let's see how it looks a bit more matured.

Monte Carlo will take over long term it grows through the grass. So that line will go away. Can't wait till the carpet is done :)

Back