• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nigel's Mountain scape 36L

Top view of the mountain hardscape. Almost everywhere in the crevices I put some cig filters to make the hardscape strong as possible so I can transport it to the live contest.
28548618447_c5da9e0cec_k.jpg
mountain hardscape top view by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Decided to try some fine leaved stems in the back. If it doesn't work out I can always go back to flame moss.

That sigarette filter realy is a nice one.. :thumbup: Thanks for sharing..

How strong is the bond when cured?
Kinda depends on the surface you glue.. The glue reacts with moist and cures, it actualy turns into hard acrylic. Than if the surface is irregular and the glue or in this case the soaked filter is pushed into nooks and crannies and hardens into acrylic it makes a pretty stable anchor.
Naamloos.jpg

If the surfaces are rather flat, or just bonded with little dots of glue there will be less anchor and water can creep in between glue and hardscape material it softens the wood for example and let go. :)

Kinda depends on the surface you glue.. The glue reacts with moist and cures, it actualy turns into hard acrylic. Than if the surface is irregular and the glue or in this case the soaked filter is pushed into nooks and crannies and hardens into acrylic it makes a pretty stable anchor.
View attachment 116526
If the surfaces are rather flat, or just bonded with little dots of glue there will be less anchor and water can creep in between glue and hardscape material it softens the wood for example and let go. :)

You're welcome!

An Indonesian guy told me that if you use smoked filter cigs it will be even stronger. The reaction is more crazy due nicotin and tar in the filter. But also more toxic of course. After using this method someone told me this https://tobaccocontrol.bmj.com/content/20/Suppl_1/i25
This research says even non smoked cig filters can be toxic.. I wonder if it maybe lose it toxicity due the reaction with glue? Or maybe the toxicity cant get out of the filter because it is pretty much sealed?

I am using empty mascote filters which never made any contact with tobacco at all.

View attachment 116526

So Micromechanical retention then ;), same is used to keep white fillings on teeth.

I am using empty mascote filters which never made any contact with tobacco at all.
Din't know they are toxic, actualy surprices me a little, many people light a filter sigarette at the wrong end by mistake burning the filter instead. I guess it happens now and then with all smokers. You would think that is a reason for a strickt regulation using non toxic materials. Anyway, have you ever tried cotton ball? I guess the natural ones might have the same effect actualy don't know if they also come from artificial source, fake cotton ball? Dunno.

Micromechanical retention
Also a nice one.. Never thought of this term.. :)

Sigarette filters are <Cellulose acetate> there is very little to find about it toxicity, it shouldn't be.. But by the billions thrown into invironment it contributes heavily to the world wide Toxic Plastic Soup issue. And in combination with other stuff as TPW (Tobacco Product Waste) its deemed very harmfull to the invironment by the numbers it is dumped.

So i guess it's toxicity as a clean filter coated in glue will rather be negletible.. PVC also contains softeners that leach into invironment, thus also via the filter canister and hoses into our tank water. Bottom line by the millions its toxic, but yet no aqaurium fish died of it..

The same job could be done by using sand as a filler too I would of thought!, which is basically what White filling are made up from eg silca and ceramic particles. The higher the filler content the stronger the filling and better wear characteristics it has.

Sorry Nigel for hijacking your Journel :facepalm: I blame Zozo he does it all the time :lol:

The same job could be done by using sand as a filler too I would of thought!, which is basically what White filling are made up from eg silca and ceramic particles. The higher the filler content the stronger the filling and better wear characteristics it has.

Sorry Nigel for hijacking your Journel :facepalm: I blame Zozo he does it all the time :lol:

Do they also use acrylate in fillings? Because i always notice them using a UV light gun to rapidly cure fillings. I never asked, but i know acrylate cures faster under UV..

Sigarette filters are <Cellulose acetate> there is very little to find about it toxicity, it shouldn't be.. But by the billions thrown into invironment it contributes heavily to the world wide Toxic Plastic Soup issue. And in combination with other stuff as TPW (Tobacco Product Waste) its deemed very harmfull to the invironment by the numbers it is dumped.

So i guess it's toxicity as a clean filter coated in glue will rather be negletible.. PVC also contains softeners that leach into invironment, thus also via the filter canister and hoses into our tank water. Bottom line by the millions its toxic, but yet no aqaurium fish died of it..

Thanks for your reply.

Should be good then :)

Ha no problem. I hope people can learn something from it :thumbup:

wow great tip with the cigarette filter plus liquid super glue! Hardscape looks really cool! nice work

Hi guys,

Like Karl, after seeing Felipe at the recent workshop I investigated various sticking methods. Tried them yesterday. All with liquid superglue (not gel).

Building a paste with glue and soil. Was ok with wood on stone. But I couldn’t stick wood to wood with it. Found it a messy process in general but hard to see when done.

Tried filter floss and glue, completely rubbish. Just wouldn’t soak up the glue.

Used the cigarette filter method (popped out to buy a pack of filters only at the garage). Absolutely brilliant. All wood now stuck to stone and each other. Tested this morning. The wood that has been refusing to sink for a month is stuck fast and not going anywhere. Note the filter is white though so needs hiding well.

Apologies for hijacking the thread Nigel, but thanks for the YouTube videos. They are very good.

Steve.

Hi guys,

Like Karl, after seeing Felipe at the recent workshop I investigated various sticking methods. Tried them yesterday.

Building a paste with glue and soil. Was ok with wood on stone. But I couldn’t stick wood to wood with it. Found it a messy process in general but hard to see when done.

Tried filter floss and glue, completely rubbish.

Used the cigarette filter method (popped out to buy a pack of filters only at the garage). Absolutely brilliant. All wood now stuck to stone and each other. Tested this morning. The wood that has been refusing to sink for a month is stuck fast and not going anywhere. Note the filter is white though so needs hiding well.

Apologies for hijacking the thread Nigel, but thanks for the YouTube videos. They are very good.

Steve.

Glad it works! And no problem ;)

To hide white filter you can put glue on it and sprinkle it with crushed aqua soil or crushed stone (depending on which stone you use).

Back