• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nigel's Mountain scape 36L

14 days in dry start now. One week before flooding! I will add dhg mini, rotala wallichi, hemianthus micranthemoides to the scape right before flooding. When tank is stable/cycled I will add some HC and buce mini coin.

41862094770_9e552aa197_k.jpg
riccardia fiss macro day 14 dsm detail by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
42767177695_d594337636_k.jpg
fissidens riccardia day 14 detail shot by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr
41862099120_c7dad1fd2d_k.jpg
day 14 dsm top view by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Strange thing is for my eye it looks more rocks are covered in moss since 14 days of dry start! But when comparing photos it even looks like some moss has fallen off due spraying the tank daily. Weird haha!

42953834984_5aa621436a_k.jpg
day 1 vs day 14 dsm by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

Looking good, I would be tempted to give the moss some more time, plants sound good and should grow quickly

Looking good, I would be tempted to give the moss some more time, plants sound good and should grow quickly

I think 3 weeks is fine but longer is always more safe of course. I learned this method from a Croatian guy. He always does two weeks dry start and his latest scape he did it only 10 days on a dragon stone scape. In my forest 128l I did it 4 weeks. In my ada 45p forest 3 weeks. This time I am using more light. Moss is turning faster to a bright state. Maybe this helps with faster attaching.

Looks fantastic Nigel, will be interesting to see when the Fissidens is full grown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks fantastic Nigel, will be interesting to see when the Fissidens is full grown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think most of the scape will turn out with riccardia. Only a small portion of fissidens mini entered the blender. Some fissidens mini in my other scape was infested by some hair algae due not cleaning diffuser frequently. I added some amanos to fix this but didn't wanna wait. :)

Nigel

It will not be long before it starts getting that aged natural appeal not just a few bare stones sticking up in the air and have nothing going for your wonderful Aquascape.

Keith:wave::wave:

Room shot of the 40cm mountain scape (dry start) for Aquaflora Vivarium contest. Added a desk lamp to make sure everywhere will reach light. Also with more light I hope mosses will attach faster. Spraying twice a day with RO water to prevent buildup of lime on the glass. Two small openings for ventilation to prevent mold.

28802144667_f72def632f_k.jpg
40 cm mountain dry start setup by Nigel Aquascaping, on Flickr

wonder if a small CPU fan would be good just for circulating air? I tried DSM once and got such bad mould problems

wonder if a small CPU fan would be good just for circulating air? I tried DSM once and got such bad mould problems

Yes I heard from someone that he used it. It helped. But Maybe it will blow moss of hardscape? Not sure. Did you had ventilation? I had little mold when I didn’t use small openings. Once I created 2 small openings no mold anymore!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Yes I heard from someone that he used it. It helped. But Maybe it will blow moss of hardscape? Not sure. Did you had ventilation? I had little mold when I didn’t use small openings. Once I created 2 small openings no mold anymore!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
no opening just opened for 30 mins a day. I'm goin gto try again soon so will leave openings and try the cpu fan i think, can run off a 9V battery.

Back