• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nikon D3100 macro lens

Derek113

What macro lens would you recommend for the nikon d3100?

I have the standard 18-55mm and the 50mm. I was considering a 90mm for macro shots (bugs ect) any ideas on lenses?

Depends how much you want to spend, the Nikon 105mm 2.8 is a good option, if you are on a budget you can also look at the Sigma 105mm 1.8 or the Tamron 90mm 2.8, you can find these on ebay at decent prices.

My ideal lens would be the 150mm f/2.8 EX, but this is the best part of £800. As a total novice i cant pay that price a) my wife will leave after going nuts b) as good as it is, i cant justify that money for a lense.

My budget is £200 final.

Can i ask what you paid?

There is one up now for £52 but has 5 days to go. See if my luck comes in.

More important than the price, what do you think of it?

In terms of focus and quality how do you find the lens? I looked at the 105mm and have been told that this lens (the 105mm) is the one to get. However the 90mm rates high but there are few example photos to be found.

With £200 you have to look into used market. Both the Tamron or the sigma will give you excellent results and you can also try to hunt eBay for the non stabilized versions which are going cheaper than the current ones and are equally as good in image terms. Also remember that you will be using it on a crop factor sensor so the focal length needs to be multiplied by 1.5x

I have no experience with the Sigma macro, but the Tamron has a tendency to focus hunt if you are using auto focus, but when I use my Tamron 90mm I always do manual anyway, just be aware of that.

I have no experience with the Sigma macro, but the Tamron has a tendency to focus hunt if you are using auto focus, but when I use my Tamron 90mm I always do manual anyway, just be aware of that.
I am planning to buy the sigma but still saving money at the moment. As far I could understand that is something that cannot really be avoided as as to do with the amount of light reaching the sensor. Does it do that even when using high apertures Paulo?

With £200 you have to look into used market. Both the Tamron or the sigma will give you excellent results and you can also try to hunt eBay for the non stabilized versions which are going cheaper than the current ones and are equally as good in image terms. Also remember that you will be using it on a crop factor sensor so the focal length needs to be multiplied by 1.5x

So with the crop sensor what lens do you think will work best? As the d3100 is an entry level DSLR theres not much info on lenses.

My thoughts were

Nikon 105mm
Tokina 100mm
Nikon 70-300mm
Nikon 18-55 with extension tubes

Any thoughts.

You can look at dxomark to see how the different lens perform on the Nikon D3200 http://tinyurl.com/gqj77zw

It is important to understand the only thing the crop sensor changes is the focal length and perceived depth of field. Or in other words a 100mm macro will be the equivalent of a 150mm macro on a full frame camera. This only affects the distance you need to be from your subject to achieve the 1:1 magnification ration. Or in other words the longer the focal length the further away you can be when taking the photo. The 100mm is normally the value most people find useful since it allows them to focus at around 30cm away from their subjects so on aquarium a longer lens is better if you are trying to take pictures of a shrimp on the back of the tank but at that point you have so many factors influencing the quality of the image that the sharpness of the lens becomes less important.

Does it do that even when using high apertures Paulo?
Does it most of the times regardless, I tend to use manual but makes using a tripod impossible on manual focus!

Back