• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nikon D3X

Tony Swinney

Hi

I had a client here yesterday, with his D3X, so I grabbed a shot of the nano tank with it. The quality from this body is amazing, rivalling the medium format digital backs for clarity, and beating them hands down for usability. It also has fantastic low light ability.

This is shot handheld, at 1/100s f2.8, at ISO200 with just the 18w Superfish light on :wideyed:

FulLFrame_DSC2276.jpg

and a crop from that pic:

Crop_DSC2276.jpg

Awesome! That's certainly the king of the DSLRs at the moment. £5,500 RRP for the body...

I've seen some 100% crops vs. a medium format with digital back and the MF is a fair bit sharper, but costs twice as much!

Did you not fancy going for a big DoF and simply upping the ISO? I'm sure it could handle it...

Thanks for sharing.

It's a great bit if kit, and down to a mere £4900 if you shop around - if you can make it pay for itself its a great buy ! The photographer who owns it has hardly used his Hasselblad / Phase One kit since byuing the Nikon (and thats £20k !!!) With the right processing and PS tweaking the difference is minimal.

It was a shame I didnt have more time to play with it, but I might have another one to play with next week, so will experiment further - anyone want to buy a D700 ;) :?:

George Farmer said:
£5,500 RRP for the body...

:wideyed: you get what you pay for.

i had a RZ67 PRO II film camera a few years ago. with fuji velvia 50 loaded, that was stunning! i wished i'd never sold that too! and it was only £600 4th hand. i bet you could get one real cheap now...mmmm :?:

good gracious i've sold some quality gear :?

I know the feeling Mark. I traded in my Mamiya7II to buy the D700, and hugely regret selling my Fuji GX617 last year, but it just wasnt getting used enough, having moved away from a local lab. I shoot so much more now on digital.

You'll never beat a 10" x 8" Velvia tranny on a light box - thats quality :D !!!

George Farmer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0
:lol: :lol: :lol:
haha nice one! I have seen a better version of that video in portuguese regarding Benfica!!

LondonDragon said:
George Farmer said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnwf2RShNV0
:lol: :lol: :lol:
haha nice one! I have seen a better version of that video in portuguese regarding Benfica!!
Yeah, that clip is used on loads of stuff. It works really well.

Joking aside, the D3x is awesome and although the sensor is the same as the Sony A900, the processing is a lot better in the Nikon, according to PP, anyway. Not to mention to weatherproofing etc.

It really does give medium formats a run for their money, and at less than half the price.

It will be interesting to see what Canon bring out next...

Which is a real shame. I'm actually going back to film after seeing the D3X pricing. Fuji Velvia in 35mm is back in production and film cameras can now be had for a song. Labs no longer need $50,000 scanners to produce great results in digital conversion. Hey Nikon/Cannon, lets keep it real..

Cheers,

ceg4048 said:
Which is a real shame. I'm actually going back to film after seeing the D3X pricing. Fuji Velvia in 35mm is back in production and film cameras can now be had for a song. Labs no longer need $50,000 scanners to produce great results in digital conversion. Hey Nikon/Cannon, lets keep it real..

Cheers,

I am too, I've started shooting a lot with film and have really gotten into it, I've got an Olympus Om2 (which I really love using) the lens prices are bonkers, picked up a zuiko 135mm f3.5 for about £20 off ebay. But I have recently got a Voigtlander body, just need to get a lens for it but I can't afford it at the moment - skint!

Back