• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

nilknarf 60x40x40

nilknarf

Seedling
First pictures...

Been doing a bit today on the DIY lid to house the LED lights. Lid will be hinged at rear to allow easy access. The Lid /lights I am proposing to mount about 150mm above aquarium to appear it is floating! (but attached to wall. Nothing will touch or be supported on the aquarium!

Made a mess on the wall, another job before water goes in!!
(2).jpg

View from beneath
(1).jpg

View from the side.
(3).jpg

Last edited:
Looking very nice.

Any build pics of the LED build?

Okay here is a few pics plus description of how lid was constructed to current stage.
I used x2 ikea kitchen doors I picked up for next to nothing. I cut the middle out of one leaving a outside frame width of approx. 50 mm then Glued the two together. This gave me a recessed area to sit the LED in underneath. I then glued aroung the outside some old ikea wooden blind slats to cover the join around the perimeter. I then used my wife's scan and cut machine to design the logo which enabled me to cut out the nilknarf and leaf motif. Then cut a piece of acrylic sheet to fit in the top recess. I have fitted two Interpet Tri-Spec LED's to the under side They came with clips ready to do this which was really easy. These have been proven to give excellent plant growth as demonstrated on a planted display at Aquajardin Gloucester.They are also a great price for the amount of light they give out!
IMG_3052.jpg

IMG_3063.jpg

ikea kitchen door.jpg

Have you found that the heat management is ok with a wooden hood without any ventilation?

Have you found that the heat management is ok with a wooden hood without any ventilation?
There is a space above lights, minimal but they seem okay at the moment. These lights give off very little heat. If it does become a problem I will look at drilling a few vent holes in the lid.

There is a space above lights, minimal but they seem okay at the moment. These lights give off very little heat. If it does become a problem I will look at drilling a few vent holes in the lid.
Fascinating. If the lights don't heat up, heat management is moot. Keep an eye out though. IME LED lights give off heaps of heat but the heat is mainly directed at the back; away from the light.

Fascinating. If the lights don't heat up, heat management is moot. Keep an eye out though. IME LED lights give off heaps of heat but the heat is mainly directed at the back; away from the light.
It is a fascinating hobby! I will keep an eye on the heat at the rear and act accordingly if a heat accumulation problem arises! Due to the open nature of the hood I think it will be okay. There is a open gap at the rear of the lights, at least 15mm and plenty of air space around. I realise heat rises and potentially can get trapped reducing the life span of the LED's. Ill keep you updated on heat as I have not run the lights for more than an hour ish!

Back