• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nitrate Tests?

I took your advice here and bought the Hanna TDS meter you recommended.
Hi @Kelvin12

Hanna products are good. I have four of their devices. In the UK, their prices are high compared with the USA. I don't know about Australian pricing.

It is totally false economy to buy cheap meters. This is one of those situations when you get what you pay for. In terms of technical complexity (the device innards), TDS & EC meters are simple bits of kit. This is followed by thermometers and then, pH meters. Almost at the top of the ladder are ORP/Redox meters. And, finally for we hobbyists, there are what are known as photometers - this would correspond with Hanna's Checker range.

JPC

Hi @Kelvin12

Hanna products are good. I have four of their devices. In the UK, their prices are high compared with the USA. I don't know about Australian pricing.

It is totally false economy to buy cheap meters. This is one of those situations when you get what you pay for. In terms of technical complexity (the device innards), TDS & EC meters are simple bits of kit. This is followed by thermometers and then, pH meters. Almost at the top of the ladder are ORP/Redox meters. And, finally for we hobbyists, there are what are known as photometers - this would correspond with Hanna's Checker range.

JPC

Maybe my understanding is wrong, but I thought the hanna checkers used the same testing methods as a standard test kit, but the electronics read the colour change, Wouldn't that make them only slightly better (on the basis the machine can read the colour better than the human eye)

I have owned a few of the meters for reef tanks and always liked them for ease of use.

Last edited:
I would be happy with a reasonable easy to read liquid test kit. I saw Hanna have a hardness liquid checker but it doesn't mention if its a GH / KH kit. I was going to chase it up in the new year.

I would be happy with a reasonable easy to read liquid test kit. I saw Hanna have a hardness liquid checker but it doesn't mention if its a GH / KH kit. I was going to chase it up in the new year.
You have a link to the kit?

The Sera Kit I had in mind was the GH test. They do make a full kit though with a few more tests than API pro. but its a bit more expensive, well at least over here in Australia which isn't unusual...... around the $100AU plus. From what I have read to date its an easier test to read.
I can't do a link unfortunately and no idea how to do than on my tablet but if you Google, Sera aquarium test kit it comes up.

Sorry Nick Pots misread your post.

From HANNA AU the part number is H 13840. I would assume its the same part number the world over. It says its total hardness kit ? Price is right if it does the job, $18-70

Last edited:
Maybe my understanding is wrong, but I thought the hanna checkers used the same testing methods as a standard test kit, but the electronics read the colour change, Wouldn't that make them only slightly better (on the basis the machine can read the colour better than the human eye)
Hi @Nick potts

Indeed, you are correct. The photometer test kits often use the same basic chemistry but eliminating colour matching is a major step forward as far as I'm concerned. Particularly at the low end of the test range. Colour perception is dependent on ambient lighting and this can pose a problem. As with all things, we have to set a price limit on what we're prepared to pay. I guess the next level up is the ISFET* electrode but we're looking at £300+.

* Ion-Sensitive Field Effect Transistor

JPC

Back