• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nitrite Question - New Low Tech Tank

Stitch

Hey guys,

Looking for a bit of advice please.

I setup a small low tech tank for my 4 x German Blue Rams last Friday.

I used a new bag of ADA Amazonia however the substrate has been in a bucket of water for the last 4 months and I kept draining and replacing the water every 2 weeks, give or take. Prior to putting in the tank I checked the Ammonia level and it was zero. I must admit I did not test the Nitrite and Nitrate level from this bucket, didn't think to.

For the filter media am using a bag of Sera Siporax which has been in my main 450 litre tank for over 3 months. I also started the tank with water from my main tank.

Day 1: 0 ammonia, 0.2 nitrite, 10 nitrate
60% water change
Day 2: 0 ammonia, 0.1 nitrite, 5 nitrate
Day 3: 0 ammonia, 0.2 nitrite, 10 nitrate
60% water change
Day 4: 0 ammonia, 0.1 nitrite, 5 nitrate

My main tank has always been 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5 to 10 nitrate.

Any ideas what could be causing the nitrite level? 0.2 is approaching the dangerous levels on my chart. Was it a bad idea to keep the ADA Amazonia in the bucket of standing water, even though I was changing the water?

The fish are in the tank, and although they are a little shy being a new tank, they seem ok - however I'd rather not stress them if you believe the water changes at the moment are not enough. What are the signs to look out for in fish with some Nitrite?

Anyway, looking for any advice.

Here is the tank. It's just a basic low tech with Microsorum Windelov and Java Moss.

Cheers

img4801yz.jpg

img4818b.jpg

If the filter media has been disturbed then the nitrite bacteria(nitrobacter) takes a lot longer to re-establish itself than the ammonia bacteria(nitrosonomas) and is easier to damage, id just carry on with the water changes and just keep a eye on it, it will soon catch up..

Hi all,
Just add some more plants, floaters like Amazon Frogbit (Limnobium) are ideal because they have access to aerial CO2, and plants will preferentially take up both NH4+ and NO2-.

PM me if you need some floaters, I always have spare.

cheers Darrel

I'm actually in Dubai otherwise i'd take you up on the offer Darrel, thanks. I'll keep an eye out here though.

Ok, i'll continue to monitor and do water changes.

So I don't need to worry about the substrate creating this Nitrite due to how it was stored? That is my main worry.

It's great if things will catch up and settle down in time.

Hi all,
So I don't need to worry about the substrate creating this Nitrite due to how it was stored? That is my main worry.
Not really, because it was stored wet it will have "cycled" to some degree. Just keep up the water changes. It is a slightly strange choice of substrate for a tank with no plants rooted in the substrate, as it is nutrient rich and will continue to leach ammonia into the water column for a long time.

If you can't get a floater, a stem plant like Hygrophila corymbosa/difformis/polysperma or rosettes like Cryptocoryne spp. or Echinodorus spp. are all fine low tech., and will convert the fixed nitrogen into plant material.

cheers Darrel

Back