• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nitrogen deficiency

Jun Xhu

Seedling
nitrogen deficiency, what should I do to increase the availability of nitrogen? Even phosphate began to disappear, there is little sign of GSA, for now I just add fertilizer tablets, does nitrogen deficiency also inhibits bacterial growth?
I also use macro liquid fertilizer, but not seen any changes, Should I use KNO3 to increase nitrogen?
IMG_20170422_002752.jpg

Wat r ur nitrates and phosphate levels.. pls take a full shot of the tank. If u r using liquid macros and then plants r not showing improvement may be there s some other problem which s preventing utilisation of NPK. Full tank specs including type of substrate and filters pls.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Hi Jun Xhu,

From the picture, it is difficult to assess whether is it nitrogen deficient or not. You may wish to read about this in https://www.ukaps.org/forum/threads/the-estimative-index.13/

Also you can also try googling 'nitrogen deficiency in aquarium plants' - there are lots of good pictures to show you what plants will look like if they are deficient in macros and micros.

Also do remember that it takes time for the plants to show improvement. For nitrogen deficiency - if you have enough nitrogen (nitrates), the new leaves should be normal while the old leaves will turn yellow and die. If you don't have enough nitrogen, the new leaves will remain small and yellow and eventually die off.

Nitrogen deficiency (or lack of nitrates) do not inhibit bacteria growth. In fact, nitrites and nitrates are produced by certain bacteria. Organic waste (fish poo, rotting plants) are converted into ammonia and then into nitrites and then into nitrates by bacteria... the lack of nitrates does not mean no bacteria. You have to understand that there are many different species of bacteria in our tank and we may not be able to identify all of them. Some of these 'good bacteria' are needed to help convert the harmful organic waste into ammonia, nitrites and nitrates. There are also 'bad' bacteria that will cause infections in unhealthy fishes and plants.

I might add a few more Threadfin's if space allowed, and feed maybe twice a day small amount's to increase Nitrate (nitrogen) level's.
Photo look's to be slower growing,lower light demanding Aunbia, next to maybe plant's that need more of everything in comparison.?

Back