• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No competition for 1st quarter of 2010?

Haven't had a chance to think about it (much like how I'm supposed to be doing a newsletter).

How about this. Everyone suggest some ideas for a comp, and I'll start a poll listing the most popular ideas and we'll go from there!

:idea:

Wabi-Kusa

how about one where you are limited to the number of materials you can use.

Or have a set list of hardscape and flora and see what can be made with it.

I'm with Gill, that sounds a very good idea.
CAll it something like the 5 plant-plalooza or something similar and see what comes out of it, it's bound to produce some unusual uses of plants.

Naturally I'm with Jase on the WK idea :lol: It's really quite challenging but not expensive ;)

WK would be awesome... how about anything emergent, terrestrial or even a small palludarium but within a set format (e.g a glass cube) or budget? Obviously WK could be part of this.

This could mean anything from Dan Crawford's 'Cressgumi';
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=7608&hilit=cressgumi
to Graeme Edwards 'Moss'gumi'
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=6161
to something more like Tbro's excellent Wabi Kusa;
http://ukaps.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=9358

Along a similar train of thought as the pico's it'll be a chance for something fun, cheap, and bit different

The paladium idea I like, might spur me into finally producing the long planned wabi crab tank.
the gumis are called bonkii I believe. Could be spelt wrong however.

Garuf said:
The paladium idea I like, might spur me into finally producing the long planned wabi crab tank.
the gumis are called bonkii I believe. Could be spelt wrong however.

I think everyone's gotta have a 'secret project' plan along these lines and looking for a good excuse to do it! :D

I did a mini cube many moons ago as a secret project I wish I'd taken pictures because it turned out brilliantly.

I always like the idea of using my cube to produce a wabi style paladium but it's finding the time to do the research on the plants. I don't like the solid backs that paladiums have, I always feels it cheapens the look :(.

I really like the idea of wabi/emergent/paludarium type thing. You can get really creative for very little money. After all WK is just mud, plants and a pot. It should be petty free style but on a budget.

ive only been posting on here a couple of weeks and learnt so much i like the idea of a paludarium competition because im in to my frogs/ reptiles as well as fish and im sure id learn allot much from all of you. i might even have a go if my wire agrees to the budget

TBRO said:
I really like the idea of wabi/emergent/paludarium type thing. You can get really creative for very little money. After all WK is just mud, plants and a pot. It should be petty free style but on a budget.

Looks like this could be a plan 8)

I think the paladrium and set mount/tuype ideas are good ones.

Also, how about a competition where you can only use hardscape and maybe even plants found from your local lake/park/wherever - just collected from nature. Or one where you give us an inspirational image and we have to recreate it in an aquarium? I dunno, food for thought.

Gill said:
how about one where you are limited to the number of materials you can use.

Or have a set list of hardscape and flora and see what can be made with it.

This has to be the best choice.. Given a shop list and no more no less than that, the only difference would be the tank and light. And obviously no fish on the list. :)

I am also very fond of the idea of creating a paludarium, that would sort out the issue of CO2 and light.

Even better, to cater for all is to give a list of plants that can be seen on both, and then allow people to choose if they want a paludarium or aquarium.

Also free choice would be what ferts would people use, as long as they are listed all would be allowed.

rawr said:

Also, how about a competition where you can only use hardscape and maybe even plants found from your local lake/park/wherever - just collected from nature. Or one where you give us an inspirational image and we have to recreate it in an aquarium? I dunno, food for thought.

I Like the idea of this, we have a pretty boggy garden, so have a good choice and a canal ans streams/brook just down the road.

Gill said:
rawr said:
:

I Like the idea of this, we have a pretty boggy garden, so have a good choice and a canal ans streams/brook just down the road.

Wow, couldn't get better than this.

So how big would the tank would allowed to be? Or could we say that nothing bigger than 10L should be allowed? And a budget of £30?

The rules would be:
- budget of £30
- 10L water
- emmergent or swampy
- cold of tropical, after all there are a lot of plants in the UK that could survive on room temp
- the tank would be evaluated on use of natural materials, ease of setup and aesthetics

Back