• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No competition for 1st quarter of 2010?

I have a spare tank thats begging for a paladarium set up ;)
i like the idea of a paladarium, planted entirely with uk natives :D and uk 'native' hardscape.

If i did it i would do it for under £5 easily including cost of the tank (£4 including heater, filter, tank, light and a plastic skull from a boot sale, and £1 for superglue)

The rules would be:
- budget of £30
- 10L water
- emmergent or swampy
- cold of tropical, after all there are a lot of plants in the UK that could survive on room temp
- the tank would be evaluated on use of natural materials, ease of setup and aesthetics[/quote]

So what would the tank size be? No bigger than 25 litres?

rad89 said:
The rules would be:
- budget of £30
- 10L water
- emmergent or swampy
- cold of tropical, after all there are a lot of plants in the UK that could survive on room temp
- the tank would be evaluated on use of natural materials, ease of setup and aesthetics

So what would the tank size be? No bigger than 25 litres?

Yep, that would be perfect.. no more than £30 and only 10L of water allowed in.

Good point. I'm a little busy at work at the moment, and we need to get the last comp done and dusted (need to sort out prizes etc). Can you guys sum up what you think the comp should be this time around? I believe I've seen mention of a £30 limit UK specific riparium comp? I think it's a great idea, though I think you might struggle with purely UK species. That might just be me though :lol:

I must say, I'd prefer to be able to buy plants rather than gather them...

SteveUK said:
Good point. I'm a little busy at work at the moment, and we need to get the last comp done and dusted (need to sort out prizes etc). Can you guys sum up what you think the comp should be this time around? I believe I've seen mention of a £30 limit UK specific riparium comp? I think it's a great idea, though I think you might struggle with purely UK species. That might just be me though :lol:

Ok, I would say that the rules would be:

- £30 spending money
- 10L of water
- 3 plants only, whatever one wants
- Needs to have some plants above water.

We could start it in April 1st, and run it for a month or two. Just three pictures uploaded to competition journal, with two weeks space between them, so 6 weeks minimum running.

This should allow enough time to end current comp.

Alternatively, to make it harder and more fun, moderators would post a list of plants to use, and we would choose a maximum of three plants on the list.

ghostsword said:
Ok, I would say that the rules would be:

- £30 spending money
- 10L of water
- 3 plants only, whatever one wants
- Needs to have some plants above water.

We could start it in April 1st, and run it for a month or two. Just three pictures uploaded to competition journal, with two weeks space between them, so 6 weeks minimum running.

This should allow enough time to end current comp.

Alternatively, to make it harder and more fun, moderators would post a list of plants to use, and we would choose a maximum of three plants on the list.

Sounds great to me.
However, maybe three plants and one moss? Just a thought.

10L of water doesnt leave you with much room for any fish or inverts especially if your going emergent...

Could you use an > 10L tank with just 10L of water in it? The only Spare tank that cost less than £30 I have going (it was actually free) which would be PERFECT for either of the proposed comps (Wabi Kusa or Native riparium) holds 18L But I guess if 8L of that was land then it would still count as 10L right? ;)

Mowze said:
10L of water doesnt leave you with much room for any fish or inverts especially if your going emergent...

Could you use an > 10L tank with just 10L of water in it? The only Spare tank that cost less than £30 I have going (it was actually free) which would be PERFECT for either of the proposed comps (Wabi Kusa or Native riparium) holds 18L But I guess if 8L of that was land then it would still count as 10L right? ;)

The idea I think everyone was going for was to have any tank size you want (within reason) but it can only have 10 litres of water in it as a maximum.... It would also promote many different ideas as we wouldn't be forced to a set tank size ;)

Again, just a thought!

So in theory you could go for a 200L tank full of emmersed pond plants but as long as it had a 10L puddle in the middle it would be all good? I like that idea! ;)

I really like the idea of emmersed native low budget but as I said not everybody has access to the plants in the wild and with pond season not really being in full swing and daylight hours relatively short it may be a little difficult to pull off yet especially if there is a time limit we have to work to.

Back