• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No Filter, No Heater, No co2, No Ferts. Walstad Nano Fish Tank

Marc Davis

Edit. Thread Bump. Here is the tank now:

Hi guys.

I set up this tank last night for a long term project. Video explains everything i've done but you can ask me any questions you like. Really fun little tank to make :)

I will be doing weekly time lapse videos as updates with key focuses on changes in each video.

Subscribe to my channel if you want to be notified of update vids.

Last edited:
Nicely done video! I am toying with the idea of such a tank so am following with interest.

Thanks Paul. I see you subscribed to the channel as well so thanks for that. Out of interest. Would you prefer weekly timelapse updates or monthly. Every update will feature sped up footage from the previous video.

Hmm.. depends if there is sufficient change/happening. Maybe weekly in the beginning? Thanks!

Good shout. Ive picked fast growing plants so im sure there will be lots happening each week. Especially as i add elements to the tank.

Not certain on stocking yet. Betta? Pea? shrimp and snail only?

I don't think I would go for just 3 CPDs. What volumes the tank and what is your room temperature? Maybe chili rasbora or something that's happy as a single fish.

I don't think I would go for just 3 CPDs. What volumes the tank and what is your room temperature? Maybe chili rasbora or something that's happy as a single fish.

Tank volume is 3 gallons and room temperature is 20 degrees c. I've been looking online and found a lot of people with 3 CPD's in the same size tank. I could get away with 5 i think once that tank is fully settled and grown in. Will be doing lots of water changes before that time though so should be ok.

People will stick anything the feel like in a nano tank, so be careful who you copy. I wouldn't put them in 10L tank. They can be pretty shy and numbers and/or other fish give them confidence. Also dilutes up any aggression between males. It's also very limited swimming space in general. To be honest I wouldn't stick any fish in a tank that small.

The minimum suggested for them here is 45x30cm: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-margaritatus/ it's usually a pretty reliable source.

Go for some interesting shrimp instead.

Also following this as I'm about to do the same thing. Would be interesting to maybe set up a post with everyone's non co2/filter/ferts tanks in and see if we can put together a plant list of ones which seem best suited to these kinds of set up?

People will stick anything the feel like in a nano tank, so be careful who you copy. I wouldn't put them in 10L tank. They can be pretty shy and numbers and/or other fish give them confidence. Also dilutes up any aggression between males. It's also very limited swimming space in general. To be honest I wouldn't stick any fish in a tank that small.

The minimum suggested for them here is 45x30cm: https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/celestichthys-margaritatus/ it's usually a pretty reliable source.

Go for some interesting shrimp instead.
I see your point. I also think that a lot of guide lines are based on your average fishkeeper who realistically changes water once a month. If everyone is in agreement that the tank is too small then the chili rasbora will be the best option like you have suggested (they were my first thought for the tank before i started googling).

Also following this as I'm about to do the same thing. Would be interesting to maybe set up a post with everyone's non co2/filter/ferts tanks in and see if we can put together a plant list of ones which seem best suited to these kinds of set up?

Make sure you subscribe to my channel mate and the click the notification bell so you get alerted when i post the video updates.

Ok, i've decided on a male betta for the tank when it is finally cycled and grown in a bit. Its too small for anything else really.

I will get a dumbo eared one as i think they look amazing. I'll try and ind a young one to watch it grow as well.

If this is successful, i will then start a second tank which will be bigger and house something else.

Interesting project, looking forward to see it grow in.

Will just say, Bettas don't like it too cool. If your room temperature is 20c now with the warm weather then it might drop a bit in the winter and bettas prefer water in the 24c + region. People do keep them in unheated bowls but it normally leads to problems. Breeders who keep them in bare tanks tend to either heat the room or have heating pads under the tank. They also do much better in larger tanks.

I'd keep it shrimp only and go for fish if you do a bigger one.

Interesting project, looking forward to see it grow in.

Will just say, Bettas don't like it too cool. If your room temperature is 20c now with the warm weather then it might drop a bit in the winter and bettas prefer water in the 24c + region. People do keep them in unheated bowls but it normally leads to problems. Breeders who keep them in bare tanks tend to either heat the room or have heating pads under the tank. They also do much better in larger tanks.

I'd keep it shrimp only and go for fish if you do a bigger one.

Thanks for your thoughts Mort. The room they are in (my bedroom) is always 20 - 23 degrees + (fluctuates slowly as the thermostat flicks on and off). Its currently 26 degrees + with the weather we have been having.

Should be a fun little tank. plants are growing already after 2 days. Will have to wait 7 days for the update though ;)

A glass lid (one of those ones that keeps a little gap all around) will help up the temperature a little and creates a humid warm air layer which bettas really appreciate. Should you need it in the winter.

Back