• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

No motivation to set up new scape with co2 and aquasoil!!!

tko187

Hi guys, as you have probably noticed my rescape has been put on hold for quite a while, i have in my posession for nearly 4 months now all required for a new planted setup including jbl co2 setup and aquasoil with all my dry fertz too, i dont know what has happen to me, if ive lost interest or what but i cant figure it out as im on this and other aquascaping sites every day? Im just wondering if this has happen to anyone else too? My plants as they are now are completely dying and covered in gsa. All i have to do is order plants and transfer the fish to a container for a few weeks till spike has settled. Also the other thing is i have heard of peoples co2 problems when having to change bottles over, and i only have a 500g bottle!! This puts me off completely as i dont have the room for an FE, could i not buy acouple of these jbl refillables and have hem ready to change over when they need done? Or will this ne really expensive to do it this way. Oh by the way i have a heart condition and have just come out of hospital and have to go back in on the 27th.....maybe all this hospital lark is keeping me down, Take care guys and i dont mean to discourage anyone at all.

I get this all the time, I think everyone does. Things in life take over and the tanks take a back seat , then you get out of the habit of looking after them properly and its a vicious cycle. I always find a good clean or complete strip down reinvigorates my enthusiasm for my tanks. I think you'd get it in every hobby, as no matter how good you are, not everything goes to plan all the time.

Its normal I'd say :)

Sam

Hi mate, sorry to hear about your need to go to hospital, i hope it all goes well.
With regards to the CO2 thing, if your worried about refilling your CO2 then do a bit of research about where you can buy your refills. Once you've found a place then you can in theory make the change within a couple of hours. IME the tank is fine for days without CO2, other people may have experienced different. My CO2 bottles are only 500mm high, are you sure you don't have space?
With regards to your lack of enthusiasm, maybe your just not "feeling it" at the minute, obviously you have other stuff on your mind, thats fair mate. What may inspire you is to sit down and try and draw your new tank/scape, i find i get well excited when i'm scribbling away and immediately want to rip down my tanks and start with this fine piece of penciled art!
Where are you in the country? maybe their are some members that are local to you, maybe you could meet up and talk. After a meeting with Graeme or George or anyone else i am bouncing off the walls and dying to get my hands wet.
I hope this helps.
Cheers
Dan

I get this with mine which is why I go for the low maintenance long term setups these days. I also get this with my pool where I go through periods of the commitment each week being a chore rather than an enjoyment. Then I get in the mood and things are OK again. lol. Normally the summer when I get a little bored with the whole commitment thing, Ask the wife ;)

AC

I had a pretty rough time of it earlier this year, and aquascaping was the last thing on my mind. I can feel the bug starting to come back, and have set up a 120cm since, and hope to revive my 60cm opti white soon.

Don`t worry about the loss of enthusiasm. There are far more important things in life. If you are like me, your tanks reflect your state of well being. I lost two potentially half decent scapes, but what the hell....just get better first.

Aquascaping should be purely for fun, not another source of worry for you. :D

Dave.

Hi Matey,dont despair i went through all sorts of s_ _ T when my youngest son passed away,but i tell you what, it was this lovely hobby of ours that kept me from cracking up completley,i find it so theraputic messing with my setup even my wife has taken to giving advice (as usual) :lol:,I currently have a 60 x 40 x 45 opti white to set up but i am waiting until a have a definate plan so i can plant it correctly,(i am like kid in a sweet shop cant wait),maybe when you go back into hospital you could take some aquascaping books with you and when you feel up to it you will be raring to go,hope all goes well for you,regards john

You have obviously got a bit too much on your plate to give much thought to planting right now.
My own tank has always been a metaphor for what was happening in my life at any given time and when times were good the tank was good and vice-versa.
When I lost my brother in tragic circumstances I did not touch my tank for a year but as with John Starkey found it a real pleasure when I was mentally ready to take up the hobby once more.
I hope that things work out ok for you and when you are over this low spot i am sure that you will once again be able to draw both joy and inspiration from this wonderful art form.

Very best wishes,

Jim.

I'm the same and am going through a lul in enthusiasm... so much so i havent been on here for a couple of months. I still try and keep the tank looking good though and I'm still battling with GSA which I think really dents your confidence.

I'll still bounce back though... the missus will make sure of that :D

I found that going to the Festival of Fishkeeping and helping out on the UKAPS stand has really boosted my enthusiasm. Hanging out with John, Clark, Dan, Graeme, Helen, and meeting other forum members and interested people has really helped a lot.

I think my trip to TGM tomorrow with John and Dan will help a lot too :)

The main thing is to get well though. Take care of yourself first, the aquascapes will follow :)

Hey thanks so much for all the replies, i was expecting this thread to be be lost in the unreplied ones!!! I really appreciate all the encouragement and also your stories too. Im sorry to hear about your son John and also The green machines Mark or Jims bro passing away, it put things into perspective dont it! Any way im back in hospital on Monday for a week. I always come on here nearly everyday to see whats happening, i will definatly get it dine soon, i still have the enthusiasm or else i wouldnt even be comin on the site! Once again thanks to everyone, take care and ill see you soon.

Well folks,I know I'm a noob,but really,your stories ((((((hugs))))) to all.I recently lost my brother too,heart attack at 42 years of age,incredibly sad and I still struggle emotinaly most days.Someone put it so well,it is therapeutic,you find yourself,pardon the pun,totally immersed in the tank,and if it gives you something to focus on,that can only be a good thing.
I still have one surviving brother,and thankfully he's into fish,went on a trawl of the fish shops with him at the weekend,I know my other brother,Rab,would have been fascinated with my latest project,I only wish he was here to see it.
Tko,take it easy,at the moment,do you really need co2?I'm about to start my first tank with just a layer of laterite,filter gunk and ferts.C02 may or may not follow later,baby steps.
Take care.

Firstly .. best of luck with the health. As said above, it looks like we all go through it at some stage and as said in a previous post a good rip out can really re-invigorate the taste for it. I've just done one of mine, had let it go and then it became a heartache so with a vicious circle I couldn't return to it. a day off last week put paid to that and made me feel better.

And to boot, I've now seen baby shrimp roaming the tank after removing the previous occupants

Back