• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noisy Co2 reactor

Gang@ukaps

current running an Aqua medic 1000 co2 reactor with Sera siporax acting as a barrier to break up the co2 bubbles into smaller ones, I have found that it is very noisy with a definate thumping noise when the bubbles are coming out of the reactor into the water pipe going back to the tank, does anybody else have this problem - sounds like a flat machine gun firing.

Regards

Paul.

N.B the canister is full to the brim with siporax.

I have found that it is very noisy with a definate thumping noise when the bubbles are coming out of the reactor into the water pipe going back to the tank

do you actually mean the bubbles are by passing the reactor and been sucked out the bottom as soon as they enter the chamber via the pipe at the bottom ???? if so yes i had this problem. :D

what i did is get a pair of pliers lol what i had handy at the time. as i filled the chamber back up with siporax i pushed the plastic Co2 pipe back up the reactor so it sits 1/4th the way up from the bottom of the ractor to stop the bubbles been sucked out the bottom. ;)

i surpose you could cut the plastic co2 pipe and make it shorter

the only time i find the reactor noisy other than this is when the bubbles collect at the top of the reactor and about the equivalent of about 5 bubbles worth of Co2 hit the incoming water at the same time and they get smashed every where but i wouldnt say its any more noisy than the sound of the filters i have. 8)

raz / Chris H

Why do people use siporax in reactors? It's one of the most expensive filter media available, but only because it's got so much area for bacteria colonisation. There must be a cheaper alternative for making a bit of a baffle in a reactor - or do the makers of these reactors sell them with siporax? Just interested :D

Mark

vauxhallmark said:
Why do people use siporax in reactors? It's one of the most expensive filter media available, but only because it's got so much area for bacteria colonisation. There must be a cheaper alternative for making a bit of a baffle in a reactor - or do the makers of these reactors sell them with siporax? Just interested :D

Mark

Mark

Aqua medic 1000 reactor arrives with no media even though it show Bio ball on the box.

Paul

Flyfisherman said:
vauxhallmark said:

Mark

Mark

Aqua medic 1000 reactor arrives with no media even though it show Bio ball on the box.

Paul

So why did you put Siporax in it? I'm not haveing a go, just interested, cos I don't understand it :D

M

i put siporax in because it was recommended by a friend and i had a load left over from when i ordered 20 ltrs of it a while ago. :D

basically i find it breaks up the bubbles smaller to what the bio balls did. i would think a lot of other medias would also do the same so it doesnt have to be siporax. Also after adding the siporax i found that i havnt had a build up of Co2 in the top of the chamber so im happy :D

i was toying with the idea of putting an air stone on the end of the Co2 pipe in side the reactor to make the bubbles smaller but was recommended the above so tried it.

raz / Chris 8)

Back