• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noisy Eheim

magpie

Hi people

been off list for a while editing the book and then in the chaos of builders trying to insulate our ancient cottage (aka deep freeze) but have finally flooded the tank.

The camera is buried somewhere under mounds of other stuff, but suffice to say that it's crawling with algae, the plants are dying big-time and I'm deeply under-impressed with the dry start method... not that it isn't sortable, just it's not as beautiful as I'd hoped.

that apart, I've had the Eheim 2075 set up in the garage 'maturing' (failed, Nitrite currently off the scale) for 3 months and it was so quiet I had to put my hands on the pipes to be sure it's working. Brought it indoors and it's louder than the fridge which is pretty loud. My OH is going to ban it from the living room which will be a tad difficult...

so I wondered if anyone had any ideas of how to make it soundless again? That is, what have I done to make it hum like a fridge?

(and while we're here, I have two Koralia nanos keeping flow going - which seems to be working - nice pearling on the plants even with only glutaraldehyde in the water, no CO2 injectable. ) but I'm thinking that if I put in some CRS, I'll end up with shrimp paste? Can I cover them with pop sox or something equivalent? (the pumps, not the shrimp, obviously)

thanks, all
m

Hey

Ref the Ehiem, As suggested give it a good clean, especially focusing on the the impellor. Also a lot of people experience noises with externals when they have trapped air in the unit. Which is higly likley if you have moved it. Everyone has there own techniques to get rid of trapped air, i tend to just give the filter a gentle rock and that tends to eliminate the problem.

Ref the Hydors, I use a hydor kor nanos in my shrimp tank with no problem at all, they even crawl over it. Never had any problems with shrimp paste!

Check the impeller for chips in the magnet. I've had 2 Eheim Classic 2215 impellers which had chipped magnets, causing rattling and humming.

This is the first one which resulted in rattling. Pretty big chips.
DSC08307.jpg

This is the second one. Very tiny chips from the edges of the magnet. Didn't rattle but hummed quite a bit.
DSC08308.jpg

Back