• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noob here would like some advice

Jordimex

Seedling
Hello my name is Jorge, actually i am a week old in this hobby and fish keeping all together
For my tank im not looking to emmulate any particular style im just going freestyle hope it works
I have a 65 gal tank, with a aquatop CF400-UV i have no idea what the flow rate is (all i know is that the guy at the fish store said it was sufficient), also have a fluval T5 pro for fresh water plants currently on for 8 hours a day, i don't use CO2, have a QP-5 pump and as of the moment I haven't changed the water but plan on doing it every week, started out 3 days ago with this tank with the Fritz-Zyme Turbostart 700 and today my ammonia and nitrates levels where in the green for new fish, got 2 I believe koi angelfish and a fire eel but have noticed that the angel fish are always tucked in a corner away from the flow i don't know how to set it slow enough for them to be comfortably swimming in the tank. Also need advice on how to create a carpet style for the substrate part of the tank.
Also have a small 10 gal tank with 2 bala sharks, 1 gold dojo loach, two tetras and a rainbow shark; as of equipment for this tank im not sure what kind of lights it has but i have a small flow filter and so far all is good.

Hope we can start this thread going with all of your advice
thank you and sorry for the bad english IMG_5400 2.JPG IMG_5401 2.JPG IMG_5316 2.JPG

Hmm.

You need to wait for anything upto 8-12 weeks for a tank to cycle and ammonia reduce to zero before you introduce fish. Ammonia is very toxic to fish.

You ammonia probably reads zero as the bacteria haven't had a chance to grow, this takes weeks.

So, choices are, remove the fish for a couple of weeks whilst the tank matures/cycles.

Or daily water large (> 50%) changes along with something like Amquel+ or Prime that will neutralise ammonia.

To create a carpet, is hard, and you will probably need CO2 injection, lots of light and high flow rate filtration of at least 650gallons per hour.

Hiya Jorge, is Ian_m says cycling the tank is the most important thing to do even though it's the most boring thing ever - seems that your local fish shop has let you down by not explaining this to you and selling live stock to you so soon. Unfortunately the fish behaviour could be related to stress due to the water chemistry, I personally would try to remove the fish so you can do your cycle without having to worry about fish health? There is plenty of support on this site but also google aquarium cycling and have a good read through - if you have any questions then pop back happy to help :)

The Aquatop CF400 is rated at 370GPH.

You definitely shouldn't listen to your pet shop's advice... I'm with @ian_m on the daily water changes if you don't know someone with a cycled tank to keep them for a few weeks.

I would also try to return the fish to the store and complain about the information they gave you.

Yes.. I agree with the above replies.. and also wish to add that both the bala shark and rainbow shark grow to good sizes like at least 20 cm. That's too big for ur 10 gallon. And the fire eel can grow up to 40 cm which is again too big for ur 65 g. And tetra s a schooling fish which means the minimum number is 6. It's ok.. even I was a blank when I started but the first lesson I learnt was never trust the lfs guy.. read up a bit before getting a fish.. that helps.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

thanks to every1 i have been testing the water every day as well as doing 50% water changes everyday using seachem stability I know the bala sharks and the fire eel will someday outgrow my tank but i already talked to a friend that has aquariums big enough and will gladly accept them once this happens if anything comes up ill let you guys know!! thanks for the great advice

Back