• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Noob

beeky

Hello all,

I've recently stumbled across this site from looking in the aquaessentials forum. It's nice to see a UK site dedicated to plants.

I've been keeping fish/plants from my early years and my Dad had a tank with a forest/jungle of C. affinis (at least that's what he was told it was), so I've always been interested in plants. I set up my 3' tank some 8 years ago and basically had three plant types - Amazon sword, Anubias and H. polysperma lit by two T8 tubes. I've recently added more plants which are growing well and started using Excel for the last three weeks. I've tried plant ferts every so often but never really noticed that much difference so stopped using them.

Everything seems to be doing well, but I'm not sure if this is down to the Excel. I've been thinking of adding iron as my amazon sword leaves have been looking a bit yellow. It's looks fairly small as my bristlenose eats through the leaves when they get big! This is a photo taken a couple of weeks ago, I'll try and get a more up to date (and a clearer!) one, but it's basically the same with a bit more growth.

Graham

1276605564_32c91e8343.jpg

Thanks. It's not going to win any prizes, but I'm pleased with it so far. It's 36"l x 15"w x 18"h

I had a nasty outbreak of blue-green algae about 6 months ago which took me a while to sort out. Due to work pressure I neglected my water changes and filter cleaning which would appear to have triggered it.

It's lit by two T8 tubes which I think are a Daylight plus and a triplus with reflectors.

I've recently bought a twin T5 controller on ebay to up my lighting as I want to try a few other bits and pieces. I've never been successful with cabomba (though I haven't tried for a few years) so I might give that a go first.

I would say your low lighting is the secret of your success so far, having lower light has meant that the demand on your plants to absorb co2 and consequently, ferts, has been minimal, if you up your lighting, you should really investigate a more comprehensive dosing regiem, such as EI, and investigate pressurised co2. If you dont, and increase the light, that cyanobacteria youve fought so hard to shift, plus numerous other types, will return.

to be honest, the 2 watts per gallon you already have seems pretty perfect. any more than 2wpg is really a waste and will lead you into troubles.

Back