• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nooooo! Snails on New Plant

Coys

I just bought a new batch of plants from a reputable online dealer and after planting in the substrate I noticed a couple of snails. Took it out (it was a on a net) and washed it and a number of very small sails came off. I didn't expect that at all having used this company several times before without snail issues.

This is the first time in nearly four years that I've had a single snail in my aquarium so I'm not happy. Have I just been lucky in the past or is a snail infestation unusual from the more reputable companies?

I guess it depends on how the plants are grown. I've found snails on plants that were supposedly grown hydroponically.
Don't worry too much I fished out several largish pond snails from my latest scape and so far I haven't seen any more so you might get away with it still.
In future, if in doubt dip your plants in eSHa Gastropex before you introduce them to your tank.

I've washed the plant and stuck in a bag for a couple of days. they I've syphoned out the gravel from the affected area and boiled it.

I've emailed the supplier for a comment. Hopefully I've got away with it. I can't stand snails!

Snails are good cleaners, i always want them in my tank.......................:oops:
I'm guessing pet snails? Which are okay...ish :meh:
It's the pest snails I feel a pathological necessity to exterminate with extreme prejudice...:dead:

And would you believe it whilst replying to this thread I found another of the slimy little blahblahblahblahblahblahblah ...just when I thought it was safe :arghh:

number of very small sails came off.
I suspect there are more snail eggs if you have more plants :wideyed:

Borrow a Betta (such an easy catch once the job is done) or various gourami - Sphaerichthys species seem to be the most shrimp safe (though I believe honey gourami are grand as well should you be lucky enough to source them - local shops only have the coloured hybrids :() - for a few weeks ;)
Most dwarf cichlids will sort out baby snails as well (though again there’s the shrimp safety concern depending on individual fish)
Of course you also need to feed (fish) sparingly :D

I’ve never treated chemically for snails - is it effective against eggs?

Hi all
Funny for me in my little betta duo with removed divider while was using it as snail factory(300 adult Ramshorn snails and babies) was growing various super healthy plants like crazy and snails never made a dent on them.Now added 3 small stones as hardscape and only few cherry shrimp in it the only plant that does well is Riccardia all else died off or struggling.
Regards Konsa

Affected plant is now in quarantine. If I see any more I'll get a few assassin snails. I'll be using a different plant supplier in future though.

No reply I'm afraid. Saw a couple more small snails on the quarantined plant yesterday so I picked up a couple of assassins this morning.

Honestly, no need to panic. Snails aren't monsters and are absolutely normal to be on the plants. Only the plants grown in sterile dishes are totally snail free, but again that is NOT how plants are grown. Complaining for snails is like complaining your plant arrived with dirt on the leaves - it's normal.

Absolutely no snail apart from big ones will do any harm to your plants. Pond snail is so-so, but again will not do any big damage, if at all.

As a tip, always dip your plants in potassium permanganate. Get deep purple color, leave the plants for 30mins or more and you'll be snail, bacteria & parasite free. However, snail eggs won't be affected much. Bleach is most effective at killing both, but will damage your plant if it has fragile/tiny leaves.

Personally, leave them be. I was obsessed with snails before, but now I see them as hardworking little guys that mind their own business. Kids love them too!

Agree that even emersed hydroponic growth can harbour snails! I managed to rid them from my setups by accidental complete dessication....

Snails aren't monsters and are absolutely normal to be on the plants.
Absolutely snails are monsters :eek: slimy ugly monsters :sick: that pepper the glass and ruin the illusion that the scape is a floating section of aquatic paradise :mad:
And no they are definitely not normal o_O...if only Pandora hadn't opened that box :meh:

...KILL THEM...KILL THEM ALL...:twisted::twisted::twisted:

My favourite one to get rid of is the mini ramshorn. Nightmare. They can survive bleach......

Absolutely snails are monsters :eek: slimy ugly monsters :sick: that pepper the glass and ruin the illusion that the scape is a floating section of aquatic paradise :mad:
And no they are definitely not normal o_O...if only Pandora hadn't opened that box :meh:

...KILL THEM...KILL THEM ALL...:twisted::twisted::twisted:

Quite, apart from assassins which can do a good job.

In my case I was lucky. I spotted that the two nets were infested just after I put them in and I quickly pulled them and the surrounding gravel out, gave them a good rinse and left them out for a couple of days before rinsing again. Once there didn't appear to be any more coming out I put them back in and apart from one straggler that I spotted on the glass and fished out I've not seen any more.

The company didn't reply though, so they've lost a customer.

Back