• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Not sure if there is an issue or if patience is the virtue

I would spot treat the Buce with peroxide using a fine paintbrush to apply only where there is algae rather than dipping the whole plant. I’d remove the problem crypt leaves as they will grow back quick enough (quicker than Buce).

If removal is easy treat outside the tank, if everything is tied to hardscape then reduce the water volume in the tank at water change to expose the affected leaves to treat, if they are on the substrate and there are fish in the tank then that may not be possible, you may need to relocate fish temporarily while you treat.

Things are looking up I think -- I am much happier at least.

Here is a shot of the repens:
1589409428256.png

Those leaves with the GSA were covered in BBA as well; it is gone. I am not sure why it is gone, but the ones on my Buce are not. Another interesting note is that the buce at the front has the BBA, but the Buce at the back do not. Any ideas?

What I seem to be getting now are stuff like this:
1589409584223.png

I don't know if its staghorn or some hair algae - it is certainly not green or threadlike - so I think it is a red algae: staghorn or black beard. It has shown up on the "new-old" growth -- in other words, after my major trim (I left leaves unaffected), those unaffected leaves are now getting some of this - the photo is one of the worse ones.

The new buce growth is clear as of today. All new growth, rotala, ludwigia, pogo, repens is also clear; and the growth is coming in very healthy.

@X3NiTH, I treated some pieces with my H2O2 and I am just waiting to see how the treatment unfolds --- oddly, it didn't bubble ... I may need new H2O2. If they start to die off, I will go ahead and spot treat some more.

I re ran the pH profile several times since then and I am at a nice spot - but I am considering increasing it ever so slightly. Further, I am debating reducing the light by a bit as well; however, I don't want to stop the beautiful pearling that I am seeing - because the plants are growing well.

Any advice is helpful!

Josh

Hi all,

We are looking a case of the staghorn -- some of the old buce that I forgot to trim are stagnant with their BBA/lost some of it. The New/Old SOME have staghorn tufts, the fern had some staghorn ... only old leaves ... I have several buce which are 2 leaves in without algae ... not monitoring to see when they will get it.
1589988078820.png

Carpet is budding with clear growth -- much of the old s. repens leaves fell off (which I am thankful for).
1589988129718.png

I did dose excel, but it didn't do much ... side note and I think this is worth for anyone reading:

I called seachem due to the mutagenic symbol on the bottle and they assured me that it is not a carcinogen (the question was lifted to the directors) - the reason that symbol is on the bottle is for respiratory issues if inhaled ... the SDS online says it is a safe product.

So ... everything is growing. Full shot below.

A wierd thing happened to my Pogo ... here are some shots.
1589988166256.png

1589988182125.png

1589988198714.png

In that final shot, you can see the one in the center to the right is having some "die off" ... NOT in the centre but around the centre ... the rest of them are fine and growing nicely (aside from a random leaf being "dirty/brown algaeish" .. maybe?)

I am wondering if that rotala growing has started shadowing out the Pogo ... (that one ONLY ... since the rest are getting the light (even the little baby tufts)).

Here is a before (the day after I replanted the tops) and today (9 days later).

1589988796855.png

1589988901502.png

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Josh

Well, I think this may be one of the last updates to the thread (at least for a while) as it seems things are under temporary control.

I noticed a few things:
1) Most of that so-called staghorn algae is just dirt particulate that landed on the plant as it passed by - when I give it a good shake n' rub most comes off ... I suspect if I tried this earlier, I wouldn't have the build up that we see.
2) From the dirty days, I had algae build up on all the rocks.
SHIELD YOUR EYES!
1590427116300.png

1590427128623.png

1590427140554.png

1590427152274.png

... I literally pulled it all out and bleached it <-- my new friend.
1590427245191.png

1590427352940.png

Sure ... it was a pain and the detritus that flew up and I missed from my feeble vaccing landed on some of my s. repens and the rest of the leaves elsewhere ... but in a few water changes with vaccuming, I should be able to clear up any residual.

I am also not entirely sure if it was worth it -- but we will find out.

Mr. Shrimp is happy.
1590427337116.png

Everything is growing new good growth -- I think it now time for patience and maintenance.

Cheers,
Josh

Thanks UKAPS.

Well here is an update! I noticed and learned some cool stuff.

The main Buce in the photo below was algae-free for 2.5 weeks, then it got some ... at the same time near the bottom of the rhizome, got some tufts (I removed one of those but couldn't get to the other one).
1591557520079.png

Interesting note on this guy: I never pulled him out to treat with h202 ... I only cut off old leaves and removed any bad ones since he rooted into my wood.

These Buce:
1591557570426.png

1591557580519.png

3 leaves in ... all algae free. These two I cut AND treated the entire rhizome and roots with H2O2 dip until I felt it was good enough (not long).

I mentioned that the buce were infested with BBA when I got them - the spores are still in that first one. I may just observe that little guy or pull him out and treat.

:mad::mad:
1591557694654.png

It came back! :mad::mad: The gravel got some GSA/maybe tiny bba on the front ones ... :mad::mad: ... not sure what the root issue is here, I have upped the phosphates in my tank ... interestingly only the front half gets the issue ... I might just remove some rocks from the scape fully and replce it with sand ;).

One issue is now it is on the wood:
1591557778519.png

I am certain this is from old conditions and the spores got inside of it during the dark days.

I am a bit of a loss as to how to treat this - every water change I am spraying some H2O2 on the wood areas which are exposed - but I am not sure here ... of course grow healthy plants to beat algae woot ... then my hardscape gets it lol.

I had some thoughts:
add some amano, 1 SAE, 3x otto (already have 3 of these)

Side note:
I lost many of my shrimp due to co2 ... long story short:
1) black rim on my tank prevented skimmer from working properly; I thought it was broken
2) removed it
3) organic scum built up
4) Gaseous exchange limited
5) O2 level drops
6) Shrimp die/otto got fainty

All this to say, surface scum inhibitting gaseous exchange is real.

Skimmer is back on - all is great.

Overall, I am happy with plant growth and coverage, but I am not sure how to deal with this residual algaes. Last time I dosed excel, I lost my gobies ... this was either from high CO2 and/or reduced O2 levels from excel.

Any advice on what you would do would be great!

Full shot:

1591558075514.png

Cheers,
Josh

Back