• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

"Novus Aevum" - 14ltr

Re: Superman's Nano - 14ltr

That looks great Clark! I can see this being a really nice little iwagumi, keep us posted. ;)

Thanks for all the positive comments.
I think it'll take a while to get to where I want it to be, but should be fun getting there.

SteveUK said:
Looking great mate :) Got the fluval connector problems sorted out?
I found that the hose goes nice and tight over the connector but will be ordering some hose clips later today to make sure.
I'm more concerned about the hose coming off the glass ware!

I need to decide on the amount of TPN+ and Easycarbo to dose.

Looking good Clark, you should really cut that grass really short, only leaving a couple of cm from the substrate and also thin it more and replant it, this will promote new growth and also help it spread quicker.

LondonDragon said:
Looking good Clark, you should really cut that grass really short, only leaving a couple of cm from the substrate and also thin it more and replant it, this will promote new growth and also help it spread quicker.
I recently got some of the same hairgrass from TGM and its taken really quickly even considering it was grown emmersed. I had in the past cut it harsly before planting and it just failed on me. I planted it in clumps for now for it to settle in but will replant in a while - even those these are still tiny clumps, you wouldn't think how small some of them actually are but look huge!

I'm using the method of waiting for the plants to settle before upsetting and cutting them. That way, they should be able to concentrate on their roots rather than building up the stuff above the substrate.

Day 2:

The lilly output is mixing up a bit of the AquaSoil in the front right corner so have turned down the output a bit. I'm pleased that everything has stayed put in the soil.

Lights are on for the first time (for a proper photo period) and will be keeping it at 6 hours per day now.

I decided to dose 1ml of Easy Carbo and TPN+ per day after looking at Dan's results with Little Mountain and his Dennerle Nano.

I've also carried out a 50% water change and true to form AS has off the scale Ammonia. I think I'll do a daily water change for a few weeks.

I might have to get a heater when I get my shrimps as the water is staying rather cold.

So, going quite well.

Hi Clarke,

if it all goes well it wil be a great nano scape,good luck mate,
regards john.

Clark, beautiful little tank, it has almost the same plants like mine, except the Ludwigia. :)
Superman said:
The lilly output is mixing up a bit of the AquaSoil in the front right corner so have turned down the output a bit. I'm pleased that everything has stayed put in the soil.
Did you put your lily pipe in the front left corner because of the HC? I have mine in the back, with the inflow on the right side... This way the current is being pushed along the upper left side, down to the FG and all way to the left side in a rotating pattern. With a small tank like this there is no real danger of "dead spots".

Superman said:
I decided to dose 1ml of Easy Carbo and TPN+ per day after looking at Dan's results with Little Mountain and his Dennerle Nano.
How many water changes do you plan to do in the long run, and how much at a time? If dosing 1ml to 14l daily with my tap water data at almost 0 K and 0 PO4 -and my 80-90% water changes twice-a-week, I would have heavy deficiency issues with the K and PO4 below the EI range. 50% water changes are OK with the 1ml but I found that 50 is not enough in my Nano.

Superman said:
I think I'll do a daily water change for a few weeks.
A daily 50% wc will lead to 0,44ppm PO4 and 5,48ppm K if your tapwater does not have any and you dose 1ml.

Looks nice and man that light looks bright. Very jealous of people who can put tanks on tables like that. My kids would have permanently wet hands plus it would get filled with toys :lol:

One thing I saw is that the intake seems to have 'sucked' a hole in the substrate. Maybe need to raise the intake a little

Keep us updated.

AC

keymaker said:
Clark, beautiful little tank, it has almost the same plants like mine, except the Ludwigia. :)
Great minds eh?! lol :D

keymaker said:
Did you put your lily pipe in the front left corner because of the HC? I have mine in the back, with the inflow on the right side... This way the current is being pushed along the upper left side, down to the FG and all way to the left side in a rotating pattern. With a small tank like this there is no real danger of "dead spots".
I put it there for a couple of reasons, one was that it fitted better in the front and two I thought it would help the flow around the tank. I'll see how it goes, but I'm expecting the back areas to be more bushier in the future, so the pipes might not fit anywhere else.

keymaker said:
How many water changes do you plan to do in the long run, and how much at a time? If dosing 1ml to 14l daily with my tap water data at almost 0 K and 0 PO4 -and my 80-90% water changes twice-a-week, I would have heavy deficiency issues with the K and PO4 below the EI range. 50% water changes are OK with the 1ml but I found that 50 is not enough in my Nano.

A daily 50% wc will lead to 0,44ppm PO4 and 5,48ppm K if your tapwater does not have any and you dose 1ml.
I've not really done any calculations to come up with the 1ml of both per day, just checked Dan's journal and he got good results using it. That doesn't mean mine will be the same so will keep an eye on it.

I will expand the daily water changes, to every other day and then twice a week. I'll be planning on doing 50% each time, but that might change. I'll see how it goes. Once my TPN+ is used up, I'll be moving this to a EI dosing method or maybe DIY TPN+.

SuperColey1 said:
One thing I saw is that the intake seems to have 'sucked' a hole in the substrate. Maybe need to raise the intake a little.
Thanks Andy. I noticed that after posting the photos, it was from priming the filter. It's remained flat since.

Day 8:

I've been really enjoying setting up this new tank, I can't wait to get home each day to do the water changes and dose (am I mad?)
I think the HC is growing in, not 100% sure tho as I see the tank every day.
The hairgrass is starting to show the change to immersed growth as some of the shoots are going a red-ish brown but nothing major.
I've tried not to touch any of the plants as I want them to establish themselves as much as possible.
Ammonia is still off the chart (expected) and am still doing 50% water changes.
The clear filter pipes (especially the output) is getting a bit brown so will to clean that up soon but I don't want to touch the filter yet. I am amazed of how clear the water has been since setting it up. Usually, with substrates you need to rinse before putting in provides some dust, but the AquaSoil hasn't done so at all.
I've been chatting to the LFS who have 150 CRS on order and they get a mixed bag of grades. They've said that they'll let me know when they arrive and pass quarantine so I can go and pick the grades I want. Fingers crossed that they get them in soon and that my tank cycles for when they do!

I'll take some photos tomorrow for my 1 week photo update.

EDIT: Just had an email from the LFS, they say that the shrimps are due to arrive either Monday or Tuesday. They'll be in QT for a week. I think I might kick start my filter using my mature one (should of done that already!)

Great update Clark :D

These nanos are wonderful little things, so easy to maintain and tinker with, and relatively cheap to do due to their size. Water changes only take a couple of minutes, and plant maintenance can be performed without even getting your hand wet, if you've got 25cm tweezers and scissors :lol:

Good luck with it.

Tony

I've realised the importance of pin type instruments. I'm using tweasers at the minute but I have to get my hands wet!

After today's water change (and a few hours after), recorded 1.0ppm of Nitrite. Whilst this might not be accurate, I'm pleased that I at least have some Ammonia -> Nitrite bacteria. It's a shame as I'm dosing TPN+ that I couldn't show that there's the bacteria for Nitrite -> Nitrate.

I really want the cycle to hurry up knowing I could have some CRS soon :D

Day 10:

Status quo really, some of the hairgrass is sending out some runners. The worst signs are on the stems as the lower leaves are going a bit brown, but nothing major.

Still at 50% water change and 1ml of EC and TPN+ per day straight after water change.
A couple of quick shots.

A couple of quick photos....

HC pearling... 8)
20090405002.jpg

Tank shot...
20090406002.jpg

Back