• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Now is a good time to look for PYO wood

dw1305

Expert
UKAPS Team
Hi all,
Because we are into a run of stormy weather now is a good time to see if you can pick up some fallen dead Oak (Quercus) branches, or roots from windthrown trees.

I keep an eye out for accessible <"Stag-headed Oaks">, like the one below.
2430301_1e694692-jpg.jpg

You won't get any really "twisty" wood, but for the larger tank you should be able to find suitable bits.

cheers Darrel

Hi Darrel.
Thanks for that bit of info.
So I can keep an eye out for dead wood. Dried out, sun bleached bits.
Then i guess they can be soaked and used as is?

Cheers!
Simon

Hi @dw1305

Thanks for the info, Darrel.

The photo looks as if it was taken in Windsor Great Park. One of the roads that connects Bracknell and Windsor has a view (and trees) that look uncannily like the view in your photo!

Why is Quercus of particular interest?

JPC

Hi all,
The photo looks as if it was taken in Windsor Great Park
<"Thakeham, W. Sussex"> apparently.

It it is definitely a <"park land Oak">.
Why is Quercus of particular interest?
Three reasons really:
  1. Oaks are common in fields across the UK.
  2. They naturally go through <"cycles of crown death and re-growth">, but now many are in poor condition, and stag-headed, due to inconsiderate ploughing.
  3. Oak heart wood is naturally hard, heavy and <"rot resistant">.
You don't get much in the way of tannins from these branches, but you can easily get those from fallen Oak leaves or acorn cups.

cheers Darrel

Hi @dw1305

Many thanks, Darrel.
You don't get much in the way of tannins from these branches, but you can easily get those from fallen Oak leaves or acorn cups.

I have a large carrier bag full of well-dried Oak leaves. Does their composition differ significantly from Catappa leaves (of which I also have a few)? Are Catappa leaves in any way superior for tank use compared with Oak leaves? I have the PFK 'free tank decor' article from some time ago but I don't think it answers this question. And I also have one of Steinberg's papers.

On the subject of Oak trees, we have a Bonsai Oak in our garden that was grown from an acorn that had fallen off one of the Oak trees blown down in the 1987 storm. It's a bit of a keepsake, to use an old term.

JPC

Hi all,
I have a large carrier bag full of well-dried Oak leaves. Does their composition differ significantly from Catappa leaves (of which I also have a few)? Are Catappa leaves in any way superior for tank use compared with Oak leaves?
I'm too mean with my money to buy <"Terminalia catappa"> leaves, so I don't have any practical experience with them.

I can pick up <"Alder cones">, Oak, <"Magnolia and Loquat leaves"> with minimal effort, so I would need some persuading that Indian Almond Leaves offer advantages they don't.

I'd be pretty happy that Oak leaves are, at least, as good as any of the alternatives. Have a look at <"Colin Dunlop's"> article <"All the leaves are brown">.

cheers Darrel

I heard the leading authority on this matter, Dr Christian Steinberg, say in an interview... You can throw a hand full of dried pine needles in your tank and it does wonder... :) They tested it...

I can pick up <"Alder cones">, Oak, <"Magnolia and Loquat leaves"> with minimal effort, so I would need some persuading that Indian Almond Leaves offer advantages they don't.
The marketing tells us that Indian Almond Leaves are what the top Betta breeders in Thailand use.
I wouldn't be surprised if they use them for the same reason you use what you do; there's a big tree in the local park or woods and they can get them for nothing. :)

Back