• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Nymphaea lotus (zenkeri) - Bulb come off

Iliveinazoo

About a month ago while I was relocating some of my plants I noticed that the bulb had come off my Nymphaea Lotus and it had established it's own roots, I assumed that this was a natural propagation process and that the plant would go from strength to strength and new shoots and roots would appear from the now discarded bulb.

A month on and no shoots or roots have appeared on the bulb and the original plant looks like it is going to the dogs; I now only have 3 very small leaves that appear to be healthy and i've had to trim off the larger pads that were starting to deteriate.

So I have a couple of questions really:
Could it be that the old bulb has exhausted itself and will never produce new growth?
Do you think that the die off iss due to the relocation and the plant should recover?
It's grown fairly well over the last year but could it be that it was just dying a slow death because of my lowish lighting and all the new growth that I've seen was coming from the stored ferts already in the bulb at the time of purchase?

I only have 1.5WP(US)G compact fluorescent on the tank with regular liquid carbon dosing (approx 5ml daily) and James C's macro and micro dry salt dosing on alternate days (approx 10ml each)

I had the green variety and the bulb also dropped off after a while, new plants grew from the main plant that was left. I had the plant for about 3 years generating many extras plants along the way, some died but there was always enough little ones for it to keep going for 3 years, in the end I gave it all away in the forum (11 plants) to change the scape. Photos in my journal if interested.

Thanks SteveUK, it doesn't smell dead or anything so I'll leave it out in the open and hope it starts growing.

Hi,

It has been over two years, how did your detached Plant & Bulb fair?

I am keen to know as exactly the same thing has happen to me tonight when I was relocating my lotus.

I will be devastated if the plant dies now that it has become separated from the bulb as it has grown into a really beautiful specimen!

Cheers
Bahrah

Unfortunately it died, I only have about 1.5W per (US)G and without CO2 injection I think that it couldn't take up enough ferts to survive, shame because it was a beautiful plant

Those things grow without high light and CO2, I had a lovely one in 1wpg and no CO2 years ago :)

nry said:
Those things grow without high light and CO2, I had a lovely one in 1wpg and no CO2 years ago :)

My tank is lightly brackish at SG1.003@25DegC so maybe it was a combination of the low light and salt content? It grew for quite a few months in my tank so the salt didn't immediately kill it but maybe it just made it that little bit more difficult, I do suspect that you need a little more light and ferts for a brackish tank than you do for a fresh water tank

Back