• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oak Leaves

Are they safe to put in an aquarium? I have an oak tree in my garden and a few years back I took some leaves off while they were still green and dried them to put into a hedgehog box. They remained green once dried and looked nice so wondering if I could do the same for my aquarium. I don’t expect they’d stay green for long but I could have a bag of them in stock to put in as needed.

Yes, oak is fine have a search, there are lots of threads about them. I tend to pick up leaves that have dropped from my oak tree. I even picked some of last year's leaves last week that will still hanging around in a corner of the garden.

The dropped ones are already dried out nicely. I can remember whether fresh green ones could cause issues as they still contain sugars or something like that but I am sure someone will chip in

Hi all,
Oak leaves are good. Have a look at <"All the leaves are brown">, you can also see some in the tanks from <"Corydoras breeder....">, there are some at about 1:05 (in the Corydoras tucano tank).
They remained green once dried and looked nice so wondering if I could do the same for my aquarium.
I tend to pick up leaves that have dropped from my oak tree. I even picked some of last year's leaves last week that will still hanging around in a corner of the garden.
Dead would be better. The green leaves will still contain some sugars and proteins, the tree would normally withdraw them before the leaves were shed.

cheers Darrel

Back