• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase biomaster 850 Pros / cons

Hi all
Sorry folk, i have another question.
Is an Air pump really necessary for an aquarium?.
He tell's an Air pump Is Not needed.
Now i have has fish for Many years, and never heard this.
Is It True?.
Yes, I agree with @Ian61 it is slightly different in planted tanks. Plants are the gift that keeps giving in oxygen terms.

Cheers Darrel

Hi all,
I should have said that there is nothing wrong with having an air stone and if you feel happy with using one, just carry on. I don't subscribe to the <"too much oxygen argument">, other than in <"very exceptional circumstances"> that are never going to happen in a tank with <"water circulation">.
Plants are the gift that keeps giving in oxygen terms.
I'll link some threads into this now I have access to a PC, rather than the UKAPS app. on a phone. I wrote an article on <"Aeration and dissolved oxygen"> about 12 years ago for large rheophilic plec keepers, it has had a few homes, but it is still relevant, and relevant to all fish-keepers.

The <"plants and oxygen"> question has come up recently on another forum, and the general consensus was still that plants <"can't supply more oxygen than they use">, and therefore that plants are irrelevant, at best. This is even though the quickest "Google" would tell you <"that is untrue"> and that it doesn't take into account the amount of ammonia plants take up before it can enter <"microbial nitrification">.

cheers Darrel

Last edited:
Hi All,
I ended up buying the Oase Thermo 850. I knew it was a risk, based on some of the feedback on here (noise level). My own eperience has been good so far. Not as noisy as feared (I guess everyone has a different expectation and tolerance). To put in some context, the noise/hum is less than the powerhead I have added (TMC Reef Tide 16000s Wavemaker) - even when the powerhead is only at 40% (incidentally, the powerhead is excellent). My two previous tanks were (1) Sump and (2) FX6. My Oase Thermo 850 is (so far) less noisy than both, by quite some distance.

I can't compare to an Eheim, as i've never had one, but I thought in the spirit of balance I should feedback that my experience of the OAse has been good.

Hi All,
I ended up buying the Oase Thermo 850. I knew it was a risk, based on some of the feedback on here (noise level). My own eperience has been good so far. Not as noisy as feared (I guess everyone has a different expectation and tolerance). To put in some context, the noise/hum is less than the powerhead I have added (TMC Reef Tide 16000s Wavemaker) - even when the powerhead is only at 40% (incidentally, the powerhead is excellent). My two previous tanks were (1) Sump and (2) FX6. My Oase Thermo 850 is (so far) less noisy than both, by quite some distance.

I can't compare to an Eheim, as i've never had one, but I thought in the spirit of balance I should feedback that my experience of the OAse has been good.
Awesome filter (850)

However, I bought it after using floval 407... (Two filters)

Both were quite compering to one Oase 850
For now I am thinking go get back towards 407..

ATM waiting for my new cabinet (it will be closed from the back as well )

Once I'll check the hummin inside the new cabinet maybe I'll consider to stay with the Oase ;)

There are pros and cons on every filter hihi

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Back