• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase Biomaster Thermo 250

AnnieP

Hi, I've just bought this filter but it doesn't seem to be clearing my tank very well. I've had this brand before, a much smaller version which went in the tank and was amazing. I expected a lot more from this external filter considering it cost me £170.
There doesn't seem to be a control to adjust the rate of filtration either?
My tank is 240ltr so I believe it should be sufficient. Any advice would be greatfully received.
Thank you

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

Hi Annie,

Unfortunately pretty much all filters are heavily overstated in terms of their filtration ability and despite being for tanks 'up to 250L', the Biomaster 250 will be seriously underpowered for your tank. To put it into perspective, I'm running a Biomaster 850 on a 90L tank and that does just fine.

You're correct in that they don't have any obvious flow control, although I've recently been informed that you can control the flow using one of the locking sliders and it says so in the manual. I haven't tried it yet myself though. However, in your case I assume you're looking for more flow, not less!

I'd suggest upgrading either to one of the higher models like the 600 or 850, or potentially another brand if that's too much money.

It doesn't get you 10x turnover per hour but it should be enough to make your water clear.

Do you see suspended particles or is the water hazy? Could be a bacterial bloom?

It doesn't get you 10x turnover per hour but it should be enough to make your water clear.

Do you see suspended particles or is the water hazy? Could be a bacterial bloom?
It's more suspended particles. It will clear but when we feed the fish (every other day) it becomes cloudy again and takes more than 24 hours to clear. I'm just shocked that our much smaller filter seemed to work better.

Could be a bacterial bloom?

It is a brand new setup with all new gravel and ornaments
360334280e8edde30ede5013d0f23218.jpg

It is a brand new setup with all new gravel and ornaments
360334280e8edde30ede5013d0f23218.jpg

If it's cloudy (as it looks from the picture) then it's a bacterial bloom, not unusual in new setups, just your bacterial colonies developing.

If it's cloudy (as it looks from the picture) then it's a bacterial bloom, not unusual in new setups, just your bacterial colonies developing.
I've had my water professionally tested and it's official, I'm blooming
Got some treatment so hopefully will be sorted soon.
Thanks for all the constructive advice guys

Back