• You are viewing the forum as a Guest, please login (you can use your Facebook, Twitter, Google or Microsoft account to login) or register using this link: Log in or Sign Up

Oase BioMaster Thermo 600 - Filter Media Quantities help needed

IndyM

Hi so I just recently got the Thermo 600 filter and now I am looking to add filter media to the unit. So far I was thinking of adding Seachem purigen, Seachem matrix, and Seachem matrix carbon. At the top, I'd add JBL Symec Filterwool.

This will be for a planted aquascape with ADA Amazonia, Power Sand Advance, Seiryu Stone, Hornwood, quite heavily planted. 200L Tank, 100cm wide, 45 cm depth, 50cm tall.

Does anyone think I should add anything else? or even remove something? Which order should I place these within the filter? Should I change the prefilter sponges?

Quantities for a Thermo 600, How much should I get of each item listed?

I suggest reading the Seachem discussion board for why you might/might not wish to use all 3 media types on a planted tank, and order of use depending upon goals, would you prefer Renew over Carbon etc
(Seachem support comments are not directed at selling you more product ;) in these discussions)

Which is your mechanical media?
Which is your bio media?
etc

I have an oase biomaster 600 and have three trays of matrix half full each. I'm kind of reconsidering it as the basket holes are pretty small and feel like the small size of matrix may be blocking some flow through the holes - unless matrix tumbles as the flow passes through?.

I have been thinking of switching media to something like the fluval ceramic discs with the hole through the middle. The discs can't be packed tight like matrix and would allow more water to pass through/around them.

I wish there was some concise information somewhere
Buy an Eheim filter complete with media kit :D ;)
Eheim provides quite detailed directions, and video support

It really depends on what you want (short term goals, long terms goals)

I asked the questions above hoping it would encourage you to think about your filter and the media and what it is doing in there
The suggestion of the Seachem Discussion Board was done as there is loads of detailed information that discusses the various media options (Seachem specific as well as general)

I have an oase biomaster 600 and have three trays of matrix half full each. I'm kind of reconsidering it as the basket holes are pretty small and feel like the small size of matrix may be blocking some flow through the holes - unless matrix tumbles as the flow passes through?.

I have been thinking of switching media to something like the fluval ceramic discs with the hole through the middle. The discs can't be packed tight like matrix and would allow more water to pass through/around them.
How much matrix have you used? 2 litres?

Hi @GreyFoxIndy

May I ask why you chose that set of media?

JPC
Green Aqua put out a video about filters. And this is what they use for their aquascapes. I added Matrix Carbon personally, but I am now going to forget that. I am now of the thought Matrix, Filter Wool and Purigen will be enough, I just need quantities for my setup.

Hi @GreyFoxIndy

In order to best advise you on how to proceed, I/we need a bit more information:

1 Are you planning to keep fish in your tank?

2 How would you assess your level of aquatics experience - beginner, intermediate or advanced?

3 Any other information

JPC

Hi @GreyFoxIndy

In order to best advise you on how to proceed, I/we need a bit more information:

1 Are you planning to keep fish in your tank?

2 How would you assess your level of aquatics experience - beginner, intermediate or advanced?

3 Any other information

JPC

I will keep

Inpaichthys kerri
Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
Nannostomus beckfordi
Caridina japonica
Otocinclus sp.
Paracheirodon simulan
Oryzias latipes

I'm a beginner. But very committed and will maintain once a week.

I just use the supplied OASE media. Never had an issue with it. In a healthy planted aquarium the plants do the majority of the biological filtration. Buying more media is a waste of time and money in my view if you have a heavily planted and healthy aquarium with sensible fish load and good maintenance practice.

I just use the supplied OASE media. Never had an issue with it. In a healthy planted aquarium the plants do the majority of the biological filtration. Buying more media is a waste of time and money in my view if you have a heavily planted and healthy aquarium with sensible fish load and good maintenance practice.

Cheers George. Love your input, as you and Takashi Amano are literally the reason I'm finally about to build my very own slice of nature!

As I said above. It was the green aqua video on filters that made me think this way.

Hi @GreyFoxIndy

As @George Farmer said, "In a healthy planted aquarium the plants do the majority of the biological filtration". So, if you are planning to add fish, you may want to first ensure that you have just that - a healthy planted aquarium. In my experience, that is easier said than done. But, theoretically, it's probably the best option - the other option being to establish a colony of nitrifying bacteria in your Oase filter. Read up on these topics and then come back with any questions.

JPC

Inpaichthys kerri
Hyphessobrycon sweglesi
Nannostomus beckfordi
Caridina japonica
Otocinclus sp.
Paracheirodon simulan
Oryzias latipes

I suspect some fish will end up less happy than others in this mix, can you prioritize your favourites
(some are more boisterous, some can be more retiring)

Green Aqua put out a video about filters. And this is what they use for their aquascapes. I added Matrix Carbon personally, but I am now going to forget that. I am now of the thought Matrix, Filter Wool and Purigen will be enough, I just need quantities for my setup.
I suspect that Green Aqua would be willing to give some direction in amounts (as stated in the video they supply Seachem matrix with their Oase canisters)

There are various ways to think of the media in the canister filter, in your instance, it seems likely to be a heavier fish load than some, so I’d ensure a good amount of biomedia etc in my canister (just in case there are plant issues for whatever reason)
Green Aqua (and ADA) begin with activated carbon in the filters during tank setup - this will ensure clear colourless water and will adsorb various C-enriched compounds that plants may release as emerse leafs melt

It should exhibit decent movement

I usually just ditch these in favour of Eheim media ;)

The old gravel style ehfisubstrat falls through the holes in the oase biomaster filter baskets. It's just big enough to be workable, but just small enough for a few annoying bits to fall through when cleaning. :)

If you're going to use Matrix, I would also consider the Pond Matrix version - it's larger pieces and should promote better flow through your Oase Biomaster.

If you are concerned about smaller media filling the holes in the media trays as I was, I came up with a simple solution that appears to be working fairly well. you can see in i the Oase thread here:

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter

If you're going to use Matrix, I would also consider the Pond Matrix version - it's larger pieces and should promote better flow through your Oase Biomaster.

If you are concerned about smaller media filling the holes in the media trays as I was, I came up with a simple solution that appears to be working fairly well. you can see in i the Oase thread here:

Oase BioMaster Thermo External Filter
Cheers!

Back